Sunday, March 31, 2013

Saturday Sanitizing

Well, as I stated, earlier in the blog this week the house barely passed spousal inspection.  I think it was the roses that squeaked me over the top.  My wife decided Saturday would be spent raising the house to her standard of cleanliness, no mean task.  However, before she pulled me into this despicable task she bribed me with the mini-chocolate chip pancakes that became something of a Saturday breakfast tradition.  I had sorely missed these tasty treats and was putty in her hands for the rest of the day.
Yes - Food of the Gods!
Since my son and M.E.G. were coming in late in the day we had to take care of two bedrooms as well as a complete vacuuming and mopping of the floors.  I told her I couldn’t remember if the floor had been washed since left.  My convenient memory probably saved me from another stern lecture.  I think the neighbors knew my wife was back when they saw me vacuuming rugs out on the back deck (I didn’t ask why that was important).
They Had to Be Taken Outside for Cleaning?
While I was out on the deck I could see a massive landscaping effort going on down the street.  A house will be built in a vacant lot and with the warming weather there was a back hoe and bull dozer moving all kinds of earth around.  I guess it’s a real challenge building on the side of a hill.  I wish the builders of my house had spent as much time leveling the lot as these guys are doing.  By the end of the day a massive hill of dirt had built up.  It will be interesting to see this house go up.
The Bull Dozer At Work a Couple Lots Down
We finally did hear from our recently employed Keene Friend who reported the new job is going well although it does present challenges for staying connected to friends since he works 6 days out of 7 from 1 in the afternoon until 1 AM.  My wife was typically sympathetic as she lectured him on the impact his employment had on her ability to shop in the Keene TJ Maxx (priorities being what they are).  It was good to talk with him. 
Late in the day my son and his most excellent girlfriend showed up and were a little beat from an all-day Easter party at her folks’ place that included some very energetic toddlers.  It was so good seeing these two very special people.  Even though they were tired they pleasantly volunteered to appease to my desire to have a deck fire and cook smors.  I have a huge pile of furniture pieces in the garage to get rid of.
Some Really Special People Gathered Around the Fire
It was such a fun time sitting around the fire under the bright star lit night sky and talking with some of the best people in the world.  The ever dependable Buddy immediately took to his normal fire side activity of rescuing firewood from the wood pile whenever he wasn’t sneaking into the back yard to eat the bread we spread out of the arriving flocks of birds.  He gave that up late in the evening when he discovered that knocking over my beer led to a liquid treat for anyone willing to lick it off the deck.  Although tempted I didn’t provide him with any competition. He did this no less than five times.  I finally stopped standing it back up and he spent the rest of the time trying to figure out how to get his tongue down the stem of the bottle.
Buddy With Some of his Rescued Fire Wood
A busy, kind of tiring day but more than compensated for with that time out on the deck with those special people.

No comments:

Post a Comment