Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sharks and Less than Powerful

Death Wish?
What the hell is going on with sharks in the news lately?  Sharks have always held a real fascination for me.  I can remember preparing a huge 7th grade science project on sharks (my Jacques Cousteau phase).  At the same time I have a real fear of the beasties – probably learned too much about them as perfect eating machines. 

The movie Jaws scared me so much when it first came out that I was looking for sharks in the university swimming pool when I was practicing!  In the recent news there’s a fetching young Australian lady who likes to swim with and hang on to great white sharks!  WTF!!!  Either this a huge publicity stunt with well fed or drugged sharks or this gal has a serious death wish.  Then I see news reports of thousands of sharks swarming the beaches of Florida, literally feet from the shore.  I think the cosmos is trying to tell me something – kind of glad now that I missed the trip to Panama this year – no way I’m going near the water.

I went to the movies last night to see Oz, the Great and Powerful and was less than impressed.  I thought that Sam Raimi would do something really special with a really talented cast and Disney money.  The movie was visually stunning and the lead actresses, Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis, and Rachel Weisz were splendid. The lead actor though, James Franco, was an absolute disaster and the movie rested on his shoulders.  He showed no range and remained dislikable throughout.  It was almost as if he didn’t care.  I left the theater thinking this movie could have been something really special if the lead actor had a clue.

Getting back home I continued my slow progress on the basement project.  There was a very touching and funny moment.  I moved the refrigerator back and uncovered a huge wad of dog fur that Buddy immediately became fascinated with.  The fur was from my earlier dogs Skyla and Estrella, who passed away over four years ago (gotta move that refrigerator more often!!).  It was almost as if Buddy was finally meeting the dogs he is so often and scathingly compared to.

The amazing snow melt continues.  The five foot snow drift on the back deck is completely gone and the front yard is generally free of snow.  A little amazing considering the blanket it had just a few days ago.  I’ve included a couple of pictures comparing the changes.
Florida Beaches!
So Close - But No Cigar
Buddy Meeting His Predecessors
Front Yard
Back Deck
 

3 comments:

  1. Hey uncle Jim! Its laury and yeah Im also quite mystified about all the shark attacks lately, maybe its just a bad season for shark related activities. That and the news about Lions got me going "skip the beach and zoo for a few months laury" And thank you for finally convincing me about Oz. I was not in the mood to see the movie and now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY LAURY!!!!!Welcome to Frail Deeds. The visuals in Oz were awesome but Franco ruined the movie for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I was sure that the movie was going to be visually stunning, kinda like Alice in Wonderland but I wasn't really that excited about it. I like Oz but I don't think an origin story was necessary and if it was not with James Franco, I like him but he seemed to be aiming the part for kids and mindless movie goers. He didn't seem that pumped to play Oz. Ill wait until the Dvd comes out to see if I like it. What other movies are you gearing up to now uncle Jim? and yeah thanx for the welcome, made my own blog to post stuff so lol Lets see how that goes lol

    ReplyDelete