Friday, March 8, 2013

Fun Times

Buddy in the Snow This Morning
So it snowed all day yesterday and through the night and it’s still friggin snowing outside as I write. 

As much fun as the snow is, I had another amusing event yesterday when a very large crack appeared on the windshield of my wife’s new car.  I think it happened over the weekend as I was driving my daughter back to Connecticut; adding another embellishment to my well chronicled love of driving in the Nutmeg State.  I didn’t see anything at the time so I thought I escaped unscathed when the small rock kicked up onto the windshield.  I started the defroster yesterday on my way in to work (remember it was snowing) and was entertained throughout the ride as the crack slowly made its way across the windshield.

As I have written a number of times in this blog – I absolutely love my insurance company – USAA.  Five minutes after I called them I was arranging a replacement windshield to be installed yesterday afternoon – free of charge!!  I love USAA!

The Safelight guys arrived on time and in short order I had a brand new windshield installed.  As I like to do, I hung around with the guys as they installed the windshield.  They seemed like a couple of great young guys so I started recruiting them to come work for us.  They both left with job applications.

I awoke this morning to well over a foot of snow.  Luckily it was the light variety so I figured my balky snow blower could handle it.  How wrong I was!  After a couple of small passes, my old friend, the auger belt fell off.  I’ve become fairly adept at putting it back on so I did that and started in again.  Then it started falling off every time I backed up.  It quickly became apparent that I was going to have to shovel the driveway again. 

I’m inviting everyone who reads this to a bonfire this summer where the snow blower will be covered in wood and sent to Valhalla.  I may never go into a Sears store again.  It’s so frustrating because I know someone with even a modicum of mechanical ability (not me) could figure out what the problem is and fix it.  I do know this is the breaking point – I will not go through another winter with this piece of fecal matter.

Buddy did offer to help but since his help is usually confined to seeing how much snow he can knock back into the driveway – I demurred.  After an hour and a half I cleared out a path my wife’s car could get through.  Thank God for the four wheel drive and looking out through my brand new windshield I made my way slowly into work.  Where it is still snowing.
The Front Yard
My Trusty Snow Shovel Brought Out of Retirement
Car of One of the Third Shift Guys at Work - Yeah it Snowed Last Night
The Crack - Starts in Middle and Moves All hte Way to Left
And It's Gone!
New One Being Prepped
My Two Future Employees Finishing Up
 

No comments:

Post a Comment