Sunday, March 17, 2013

Rhode Island Respite

So.....Much.....Fun!
I’ve written before about the excellent character and quality of my elder sister and her peerless husband and in laws.  Those views were further validated yesterday with a thunder run down to the Ocean State for dinner and camaraderie.

I spent most of the day before that down in the basement as I took on the lion’s share of the project by attacking what turned out to be my wife’s secret vault of hidden treasures.  We have an area with an old kitchen counter that she claims is her “crafts” center.  What I found yesterday confounded my expectations.  My wife keeps a very clean house and now I know why – it all gets moved down to the “crafts” center.  That made moving things out so I could paint a real challenge.  Buddy was less than pleased when his room was overwhelmed with boxes and wifely hidden treasures.

I rewarded him with ride with me in the car to Home Depot.  I opened the window just a little bit so he could get his nose in the air and then paid attention to driving.  I glanced back and found that he had somehow gotten his entire head outside the small opening and was in danger of throttling himself – and he seemed to be loving it. 

I was semi-exhausted when I finished the day’s painting but Buddy and I rallied as we both jumped into the car for the trip to Rhode Island.  My sister, Brother in Law and I went out to dinner at a restaurant with multiple TV screens with sports news.  I picked my brother in law’s brain about the latest Patriots personnel moves and just enjoyed being around these special people.

Out original intent was to gather at our favorite Irish bar for an evening with my brother in law’s most excellent family.  The only Irishman in the group pointed out that since today was St Patty’s Day seating at an Irish bar was going to be elusive last night.  His astute observation was borne out by drive bys so we rewarded his perspicacity by storming into his house.

There followed one of those evening that I just treasure.  I think there is not a better way to spend time than to sit around a table and enjoy the company of people that are important to you.  There’s almost a shorthand to the joking and the fast paced conversation careened through a wild assortment of subjects – all of it just as wildly entertaining.

Our host snuck onto the internet and we were soon listening to our favorite Irish balladeer – Seamus Kennedy.  He was an institution in Old Town Alexandra when I was assigned to DC early in my career.  For my money he is the most entertaining singer I’ve ever seen – just incredibly funny and talented.  Some of the ladies were trying to ignore our internet meanderings until they started listening to Seamus singing Mom’s lullaby which had everybody rolling on the floor.  (check it out below)

When our host and I got the Zulu final battle scenes and Sean Connery on the bridge from The Man Who Would be King blaring most of the group left for the living room where we soon joined them.  It turned out to be exactly what a very lonely old guy needed – just pure camaraderie.

As I had more than few adult beverages I was spending the night at my sister’s place along with Buddy.  Thanks to the adult beverages I had no problem falling immediately and deeply asleep despite Buddy’s best efforts to keep the party going.  (Note to self – remember to bring Alka Seltzer next time).  I awoke to a pre-historic sized turtle who was my roommate for the night and slowly made my way home for Sunday’s chores but still basking in the good feelings of a night well spent.
My Beautiful Sister and the Amazing TV Display
Buddy's Room Overwhelmed with my Wife's Hidden Treasures
Crafts Area Before Painting
And After
My Prehistoric Sized Roommate
 

No comments:

Post a Comment