Sunday, March 24, 2013

Saturday Fallen

A Pensive Buddy - Doesn't Like it When I Blog
So, I’m in the home stretch as far as the basement project.  I went into it a little edgy because it denied me a free weekend but there is no way I’m not going to finish this thing.  I had one corner of the basement left.  It was where a lot of stuff was placed while I was painting other areas so moving said stuff was going to be a bit of a project in and of itself.
The Final Corner - A Few Things to Move
I also had a bunch of old, broken and water damaged bed boards waiting my attention in the garage to complete their transition into firewood.  I hit those first by setting up a couple tables in the garage and getting my table saw out.  Since it was in the 30’s I kept the garage doors closed.  It turned out to be a bit of a mistake as I looked up from the project about halfway through and saw that everything in the garage, including my wife’s freshly washed car, was coated in saw dust.  Buddy who is usually terrified of power tools kept coming in and trying to snatch and save the odd piece of wood from the firewood pile – it’s what he does.
The Ex-Headboards
One of the things I’ve noticed in cleaning the basement is that if a flat surface is available something will get stored there.  I need to reduce flat surface area and impose some discipline on my wife’s ability to hide things.  I therefore decided to disassemble a set of homemade shelves I put together about twenty years ago.  That turned out to be a huge hour long project as I guess I used to be a lot more thorough – there were screws in every conceivable angle. 

There was a lot of stuff to be moved.  It turned out to be a long time getting everything re-positioned but by supper time I was ready to paint.  I encountered more divots in the cement from my son’s weight lifting efforts.  I also uncovered one of my wife’s hidden purchase caches where she had hidden a pile of Marshall bags.  I found myself a little bit excited as I got to the final piece of bare cement.  I have to get another coat down today but I felt pretty good at finishing. 
The Hidden Cache
The years did catch up with me by the end of the day though.  All the weird positions I had to get into to dissemble the shelves, the sawing, and then moving/painting had my right hip socket barking like Buddy seeing a jogger.  I’ve never had problems with that particular joint so this is somewhat unsettling.  Getting old can suck, a little.
Good Action

I rewarded my day long efforts by sneaking out to see a late night viewing of the latest action flick – Olympus Has Fallen.  It has Gerard Butler in full Leonidas mode saving the day when terrorists seize the white house.  It pissed me off a little bit to see the white house taken down the but the action was totally relentless and Butler can really do this kind of thing.  It was like seeing a return of Jack Bauer.  It was totally unbelievable and some of the plot holes taken to keep the story moving were laughably farfetched but I still loved the flick.  The female actresses and Morgan Freeman were a bit wasted but this was Butler's flick and he delivered.

Now to clean the house.
The Corner Cleared
And Painted

No comments:

Post a Comment