Monday, March 25, 2013

Unexpected Memory Flooding

Tackling the final corner of my basement project I was stunned at how much “junk” was there. It took me a lot longer to move things because I kept running into memories.  It’s funny how some of the little things bring memories flooding back. 
The Teddy Bear
I ran into a Teddy Bear I bought in Panama when I was on my way to meet my daughter for the first time in 1983.  I had a brief glance of her on the day she was delivered but the next day as I was headed to the hospital to hold her for the first time I stopped by the PX and bought this teddy bear.  It was hugely inappropriate in size for a new born baby, but heck, this was my first time.  It’s been with us ever since and has spent the last few years hanging out in the basement.  I was throwing away a lot of stuff as I continued my scorched earth march through the basement but I couldn’t find the heart to part with the bear.
My First Day In Uniform 35 Years Ago
I also found a series of photos that had been separated at some point from our normal bucket of photographs.  One was my official photo upon joining the Army in 1978.  I paused to remember that I was looking at the photo exactly thirty five years to the day that I put the uniform on for the first time.  There was also a photo taken while I was going through basic training where you could tell how much time had passed by noting my waistline (was I ever that skinny!). 
Basic Training - 1978
I found a carefully folded recipe from my senior year in college. A couple friends and I were in a basement bar, I think it was called the Tin Palace, enjoying a drink called – Hope, Skip and Go Naked.  The waitress noted our enjoyment and gave us the recipe for the drink.  After all the moves and time that has passed I was amazed it survived this long.  That day in 1977 was the last time I ever had a Hop, Skip, and Go Naked though; now I can try and re-create it!
The Long Lost Recipe
There was a photo of my incredibly memorable going away party from Germany in 1980.  I was headed to Fort Benning, Georgia for Officer Candidate School and my friends took over the basement bar in our Frankfurt barracks to give me a send off.  There were some great friends there and the young lady that made that night so memorable was not pictured but still fondly remembered. 
My Friends and I in 1980 Drake Kaserne
Speaking of young ladies, I also found photos of two of my “before I met my wife” girlfriends in Panama.  I kind of over achieved in the nine months I spent in Panama before meeting my future bride.  I couldn’t even remember their names but it did bring back memories of that time as a young lieutenant and the hilariously fun times I shared with the other young lieutenants.  No one should have that much fun and survive.
Unknown 1981 Girlfriend #1
Myself and Unknown 1981 Girlfriend #2
Speaking of good times in Panama my son’s M.E.G. provided a series of photos today from their recent trip to Panama.  I saw so many faces of my wife’s family, some of my favorite people in the world.  It made missing the trip to Panama this year a little more painful but it was obvious my son and MEG enjoyed a great time while down there.  It included many photos of the places of that “mis-spent “era of my life as a lieutenant.  It also included many of that beautiful young lady I ended up with and who I pick up at the airport tomorrow.

I am so lucky.
My Son With My Best 1981 Girlfriend - His Mom
M.E.G. and Son At Panama Canal
Some of the Best People in the World
I Really Missed Seeing Them This Year
Finally - Current Progress on 2000 Piece Time Sucking Vortex
Will Have to Convince Wife to Let Me Keep Working on It

No comments:

Post a Comment