Monday, March 11, 2013

Ursine Utopia

View From Our Seats
Sunday’s have become one of my busiest days during my wife’s absence (again affirming how much she does for me (she’s found out how to read the blog down in Panama)).  I had a little more running around to do yesterday because my brother in law invited me down to Rhode Island see a minor league hockey game involving the Providence Bruins.  Score!!!!!!

The day’s somewhat hectic schedule was further complicated by the shifting of clocks due to Daylight Savings Time.  I don’t know why one hour can make such a difference but it does – mainly from the frustration in trying to figure out how to change the clock in my wife’s car. That one hour does seem to make a difference though and I was thrown off my own schedule enough that getting down to Rhode Island on time was a lot more challenging than it should have been.

That effort was nobly rewarded though with just a fantastic afternoon.  I arrived at my sister’s house and successfully defended my groin from her dog Bailey’s signature attack move.  It was kind of comical because you could almost read her mind in asking why the hell Buddy was not with me.

My brother in law and I picked up another of my favorite people in the world – his brother in law (the one married to evil prognosticator of 2012 Red Sox woes).  These two have started a tradition of weekly Bruins games and I felt fortunate to be included this time.  We followed their customary schedule which called for an early arrival in Providence so we could patronize the Trinity Pub (just keeps getting better!). We were able to score seats at the bar and watch the pre-game crowd as well as a strange number of anglers parade through.  There was some sort of fishing convention going on in town. 

We strolled over to the Dunkin Donuts Center for the game which was extremely entertaining.  The Bruins lost the game as they faded badly in the third period but they did win all three fights handily.   More than the game itself I enjoyed the company and the atmosphere.  There was a good crowd on hand and the PR efforts were definitely aimed towards the kids in attendance which made it more fun.  It was reminiscent of what attracted me to sports in the first place. 

Part of my growing antipathy towards sports in general is the over commercialization of pampered millionaires who don’t seem to care about the product being put on the field or floor.  Yesterday it was nice to see a return to the fundamentals of what makes athletic competition so compelling.  Even though the home team lost a game they shouldn’t have I don’t think many people left that place thinking they’d been cheated out of their ticket price.  I know I didn’t, more so for getting to spend an afternoon with two really good friends.  This kind of afternoon was why I was drawn back to New England after my military service.
 
Reality came crushing back in as I made my way home to complete my Sunday chores.  I didn’t even have time to work on the mongaso puzzle I’ve got going on.  I did start my basement painting project late in the evening.  I’m going to try and paint the entire basement floor which is complicated by the mass of junk we have down there.  I spent the time last night moving things away from the walls in certain sections and then painting those sections.  Buddy was extremely concerned since this is his lair.  I figure it will take about two weeks of daily junk movements and subsequent painting before I’m finished but I’ve always wanted a painted basement floor.  Don’t ask me why because I couldn’t explain it but I am now firmly chasing the dream!

My Two Sterling Companions at the Trinity Pub
The Trinity Pub in Providence - Great Site For Pre-Game Libations
Really Good Sized Crowd
The Start of my Basement Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment