Saturday, March 9, 2013

Impressive Storm and Neighborly Save

Even Buddy Was Impressed
For all of you that thought I was kidding about yesterday’s storm – please take a look at the accompanying photos.  Also remember it is now March when we should we waiting for the first flowers to start poking up through the soil.  Whatever happened to global warming!

I was actually impressed with the storm – it just wouldn’t quit.  The forecasters predicted we would get about 8-10 inches of snow which is bad for March but tolerable.  Those same forecasters were scrambling all day as it just kept coming.  As a resident of apparently the snow capitol of the Massachusetts we received 31 inches. 

I angrily shoveled the driveway in the morning after my snow blower’s latest hissy fit.  I figured since there was at least ten inches already on the ground I would be good to go when I came home.  O, nay, nay!  The snow finally stopped around 3pm and when I pulled up to the house, parking in the street, you could barely see where I had shoveled in the morning. 

Since I was shoveling instead of snow blowing I let Buddy out to assist me with the chore.  His assistance consisted of defecting, rather spectacularly, in the middle of the driveway.  Thanks Buddy!  He did enjoy supervising and chasing the odd snow ball when I came up for a breather.  He looked more like a frog as he had to jump to navigate through the deep snow. 

I am blessed with some of the best neighbors on the face of the earth.  When my neighbor heard my snow blower had met its fate he promptly showed up with his much more reliable machine and carved up some of the worst of the snow.  I was shoveling behind him because it was such a huge job.  This was the same guy who rescued me when I buried my snow blower during the February 9 blizzard.  I hope there is a special place in heaven for this hero because he really saved my bacon again yesterday.  I checked out the brand of his hugely more reliable snow blower.  Wouldn’t you know it – Craftsman!  I just can’t seem to buy a break. 
 
Buddy and I headed inside and I noticed a truly magnificent sun set.  It was almost like a payback for all the pain of the storm.  Thanks, Big Guy!  As I was admiring His handiwork the town snow plow breezed by to replace the recently excavated snow bank at the bottom of the driveway and as an added benefit knocked over my rubbish bin.  Buddy and I went back to re-open the driveway and pickup about a hundred coke bottles.

Since I was now able to get out of the house I made my weekly pilgrimage to the pizza Nirvana that is Zorba’s.  It was understandably under populated but I provided the weekly update on my wife’s absence to my ladies.  It’s really kind of cute that they adopt me every year when she disappears.  Luckily I am viewed as the kind old fatherly figure – (when the hell did that happen – time is a cruel master). 

I woke up this morning and was truly struck by the pristine beauty of the snow drifts in the back yard.  It’s a lot easier to be philosophical now that the driveway is clear. 
My Driveway Last Evening - I completely Shoveled it in the Morning
The Stake Poking Up From the Snow is About 3.5 Feet Tall
Buddy Supervising - Standing on Top of Stone Wall
My Hero Neighbor to the Rescue!
The Results of Our Combined Efforts - Freedom!
The Snow Covered House as I Head In
Snow Bank on the Rear Deck
 

No comments:

Post a Comment