Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Backside Impalement

I like to think I’m a fairly straight forward guy at work.  It’s something the Army kind of expects from you.  I’ve found civilians are a whole lot different.  I was recently instructed to make changes to the system by the overall head of the organization.  That’s part of my job so I went ahead and made the changes, which in reality make a lot of sense and improve service.

I’m now getting the sense that the authors of this change are trying to imply that this was my idea.  A destination was deleted that apparently does not sit well with someone very high in city government.  The politicians here at the company seem to be running for cover.

Politics is something anathema to me.  It’s a game for cowards where upsetting someone higher in the food chain, even if that person is wrong, just scares the be Jesus out of the minion level. 

There’s an old saying about success having a thousand fathers while failure is an orphan.  Observing civilian politicians at play lends some insight about the origins of that saying. 

I reminded the head politician here at work that when this was first proposed I made the statement, “This makes a lot of sense but it will have political implications for the city.”  I was roundly ignored at the time.  I feel semi-prophetic now.

Of course it could just be the let down from a fantastic weekend with my daughter or the impending Wednesday night snow storm which may drop another eight inches of snow on the area.  Color me a little pissed right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment