Friday, March 1, 2013

Calibrating Politics

I walked into a little bit of an ambush at work yesterday.  I was tasked with implementing all the changes required for the upcoming opening of our new transit hub.  I did that and actually finished a little ahead of schedule.

The plan called for some public hearings to elicit comments – this is the People’s Republic of Massachusetts after all.  One of the things I’ve noticed since I came back here is that the operations section, which I am in charge of, has been excluded from a lot of these sessions.  I could not have been happier with this development. 

So it came as a huge surprise a couple days ago when I was invited to attend two of these meetings next week.  The ambush yesterday was the overall boss informing me that I would be making the actual presentation at the meeting!!  My immediate boss just shook his head in wonder when I told him I had been elevated from attendee to presenter.

This smacks of politics at play because there will be some people upset and the politicians are trying to distance themselves from the act.  I decided to scare the boss and I told him if someone asked me why we were doing certain things I would tell them – “because I was told to.” That seemed to get his attention.  I would never do something like that, but he would, so it scared him. 

He’s now playing very nice with me.  He’s even roped me into an interview he has today with the local newspaper.   No good deed goes unpunished.

I was extremely excited yesterday because I was getting my new television calibrated.  My son, my television advice guru, encouraged me to have this done and promised I would be amazed at the difference.  Since I was already pleased with the quality of the picture – I was, like I said – excited. 

Since I patronize Best Buy religiously – I do own a few (nearing a thousand) movies, the Geek Squad was performing the calibration for free.  The guy showed up on time and quickly set up his stuff – none of which I understood.  He had a device sitting on front of the TV and connected it all to his computer. 

He tried to explain what he was doing and said it would be much more life like.  After 45 minutes he was finished and I was less than impressed.  Since it was free I was not going to bitch about it but based on my expectations (inflamed by my filial guru) I was severely disappointed.  It could just be that disappointment talking but I swear it looked better before the calibration.

Yesterday kind of sucked – but today is Friday and the daughter arrives tomorrow for the weekend so the worm is turning.
Geek Squad on Site
Calibration Underway

No comments:

Post a Comment