Friday, March 22, 2013

500

I noted yesterday that today’s post would be my 500th since I started this little adventure back in September 2011.  I am amazed how important this daily exercise in writing has become to me.  I’m certain that what I’m writing has no great impact or worth for anybody outside my family or close friends; and even that is a huge stretch.  Still, as someone accused (fairly regularly by certain spousal sources) of being too sealed up with my emotions and thoughts – this has allowed me to express same.  As a good friend jokingly remarked to my sister, “Who knew, he had feelings!” after I first started doing this.

This is the first thing I ever wrote for the blog:
“I'm not sure where this is headed but I was inspired to start this blog by my daughter, a truly gifted writer. I've discovered, relatively late in life, that I enjoy writing.  I'm a retired Army officer still learning how to be a civilian again.  I am still figuring out how to construct this thing, no bells and whistles until my daughter is available for tutorials.  I plan on just passing on observations and comments and hope to say something worthwhile.  You will be the judge but I reserve the right to overturn all convictions. Out for now. “

I was a little prophetic because the blog has certainly evolved since those early days.  It’s become something of a daily journal where I chronicle the challenges we all face striving though this wonderful thing called life.  Although I am extremely ordinary, as I strolled back through the posts I was impressed with the breadth of experiences and good times.  In the hum drum of daily comings and goings it is sometimes very easy to forget how fortunate I am.  I smiled a lot going back through the posts.

The biggest sources of my personal prosperity though are my family and friends; loyal readers all (well, except my son).  The best feeling I have each day writing is that at some point these important (to me) people will read it.  I, remorseless hater of talking on the telephone, can reach out and touch these great people.  I might bring a smile to a daughter in Brooklyn, a sister in New England, or a friend in some far flung corner of the world.  I can hark back to some of my misspent youth with life long friends who shared some of those misadventures.  I know if I mention anything remotely political, my uberliberal, cantankerous friend will immediately launch a counter attack on Facebook (only because he hasn’t figured out how to do it on the blog comments).  This is what I love about the blog; I feel connected to these great people.

The biggest surprise for me has been the world wide audience.  I can see stats of where people are viewing the blog from.  I’ve had visitor from every continent and dozens of countries.  I know if for nothing more than the millisecond someone takes to check out the blog and curse their luck for stumbling onto it, we are connected.  The world is so much smaller.

So, loyal readers and accidental visitors, thanks for sharing this ride with me.  Take some time to examine your own life and you’ll be amazed at how lucky you are to be blessed with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment