Saturday, March 23, 2013

Final Friday

Last Weekend on the Island
I really stumbled to the finish line yesterday as this was a truly exhausting week.  We had a visiting vice president from the company all week so I was periodically called out for meetings and updates, all this taking place at the same time I’m trying to put the final touches on the huge project that kept me away from Panama this year.   I did get a free lunch (they do exist) and dinner out of the imposition though.

My excellent boss and I escaped for a First Friday celebration at the end of the day which made it a whole lot more tolerable.  We were sitting in Brew City enjoying the plight of more temperately inclined commuters trying to get home through yet another snow squall (are these things ever going to end).  Apparently Worcester is going to win the Snow Globe this year which is for the most snow in a city of 100,000 or more (yay!).
View From the Brew Last Evening
Snow and Commuters
Home remains the island of solitude it has become though Buddy does his darndest to lift spirits.  He can truly be incredibly entertaining.  This is my last solitary Friday though as my wife returns on Tuesday.  She’s asking very pointed questions about why there is still snow on the ground. I‘m asking very pointed questions of myself as I size up the very substantial job of not only finishing my basement project but returning the house to an acceptable level of order prior to her arrival.

I had hoped to sneak up to Keene for one last Guy’s Weekend but I’ve learned enough about time management that this is not possible given my remaining tasks.  She’s never been away this long before so Buddy and I have allowed the house cleanliness to descend well below her standards.  It will be painful no matter what I accomplish in the next few days – I’m thinking a lot of roses will be required.

I paid my last single visit to the fabulous ladies of Zorba’s.  Their pulchritude and the sorcerous pizza performed the usual chore of lifting spirits; the beer assisted significantly in this effort.  I had to abandon my usual perch at the bar since March madness was in full swing there and not a seat was to be had.  This is probably a good transition for me as next week I’ll have my bride with me.  Very cool – I’d better start getting the house cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment