Monday, April 1, 2013

Risen Day

My Son Surrounded by the Pulchritude of the MEG and His Mother
Yesterday was a great day as we celebrated Easter first with my son/M.E.G. and then my sister and her famous in-laws.  I couldn’t shake a feeling of fatigue all day though.  I think my basement activities combined with cleanup efforts finally caught up with me as I couldn’t shake a general feeling of exhaustion all day. 
My Wife and I
We followed a truly spectacular breakfast by heading over to the church for Easter service.  We were early but not early enough as the holiday Christians were out in full force.  We journeyed throughout the building looking for seats until we resigned to standing in the back.  Three seats were located so that left me standing alone until my son reported we could get one more in.  My wife has an uncanny ability in this area.  We ended up in the front row which was good except for the young priest’s overdoing the incense a little bit and having to kneel on the floor.  That lasted about twenty seconds until my knees were barking too hard to continue. 
MEG and Son
I did enjoy being back in church, which kind of surprised me.  My church attendance took its annual nosedive in my wife’s absence, something she was sure to counsel me on and did.  There’s something immensely comforting about the rhythms of church.  It could be I’m getting closer each day to meeting my maker.

Easter Baskets Handed Out - Buddy Wondering Where His is at 
We returned home for a short spell and we gave the “kids” their Easter baskets.  Buddy looked on with a little jealousy wondering where his was.  He had to make do with a compressed hide bone.

My Wife and MEG
We then mounted the Highlander for the hour long trip to Rhode Island to share the holiday with my sister and her extraordinary in-laws.  Her mother in law holds a Western Hemisphere record for putting on the best Easter dinners and this year was no exception.  I warned the MEG that the food would just keep coming and it did (I had three different kinds of desserts much to my wife’s horror and comment).  Our hostess also made a point of making up an Easter basket for everybody attending.  She really is something special.
At The Rhode Island Party
It was so good sitting around the table catching up with everyone who made a point of welcoming my wife home from her travels.  The MEG, as she is wont to do, immediately fit in and was soon an integral part of the fast paced joking and story telling.
Poorly Lit but Funny Because My Sister Sitting Next to my Wife
Tried to Dive Out of Photo but Actually Dove Into It
We successfully prevented my sister’s sister in law from making any arcane predictions of Red Sox failures (see earlier blog).  She is currently on a crusade to curb the off key singing of some lady at her church.  She even went so far as to record the lady’s voice on her I-phone which led her college aged daughter to remark, “I’m the only adult in this family!”.  I, of course, thought the lady had the voice of an angel.

My Sister's In Laws - The Crusader on the Left
A long day, but well spent, when I considered the people I was blessed to spend it with. 

Construction Progress Down the Hill - Big Pile of Dirt

No comments:

Post a Comment