Friday, April 26, 2013

Note to Self – Earth Approaching

Events yesterday finally conspired to bring me down from the “social high” I somehow maintained all week from the Roothugger Reunion.  All it took was a first thing in the morning meeting (bane of my existence) scheduled to last for an hour which extended well into a second hour.  I think any meeting that goes over an hour long is wasted time.  If it can’t get done in an hour someone wasn’t prepared. 
I was forced to take on the overall head of the agency, a guy I really like and respect.  It was one of those “Emperor Has No Clothes” situations where he had cowed everyone into doing things that impacted severely on the efficiency of the operation.  I started making some pretty brutal observations about the impact of all the last minute changes being forced down our throats.  Virtually everybody in the meeting supported my views (thanks for letting me be the bad guy) which left the big guy feeling kind of isolated. 

I know he blamed me (rightfully so) but it had to be said and I took no pleasure in the expression.  Everybody was thanking me afterwards (privately, of course) but it’s kind of screwy that I had to be the one to do it.  At least I’m still employed, I think.

I was bothered by it all day but it was finally a glorious spring day (we do have a few of those in New England) which helped a little.  I got home with enough daylight left to put up the new canvas on the back deck gazebo.

If you are a long time reader you’ve followed my adventures with the canvas from last year semi-successful attempt to glean one more summer from the original canvas and its eventual demise due to the wind tunnel my house is located in. 
Success!!
I found an all too easy replacement on the internet which had me doubting as to its fit.  Since I had to throw away the box it came in today it had to go up yesterday (in case I had to return it).  It turned out to be remarkably easy, except for the part where I had the whole thing up and then noticed I forgot to cover a certain part which meant I had to take it all down again.  My wife and faithful assistant Buddy the Wonder Pooch were extremely impressed.  As I was putting it up I noticed some of the metal framework was starting to rust away so this canvas may outlast the structure. 

This success combined with yet another Red Sox win (okay it was against the Astros) ended the day much better than it began.  I also completed watching the last movie I had stacked up on the mantle.  This is the first time it’s been clear since last October. I had not been able to clear the mantle due to the combined effects of my wife’s veto authority and her somewhat mysterious desire to spend time with me.   Her months long absence allowed me to knock off Star Trek, Rome, and Combat.  Now I have a problem with a very crowded movie collection shelves which I had thought would last for years more – ahh life and its incredible challenges.
Downhill Construction - First Floor Framed In
Seems to be Made of Styrofoam

No comments:

Post a Comment