Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hump Day Pleasures

I’m stuck in a real rut at work where everything is in place for the big changes but we keep getting pushed back.  The upper level bosses tried their hands at scheduling operations and it is coming back to haunt them in a major way – they should just stick to politics.  Of course, they’re now relying on us to rescue them from their indecisiveness.  The concept of second and third order effects just seem like an alien concept to people who operate in the fast food world of politics.
My Son Yesterday.  He Did Eventually Open his Eyes.
At least I was able to sneak away for my weekly lunch with my favorite son yesterday.  I find myself really looking forward to Wednesdays now because I know I’ll get to see him.  I just wish NYC was a little closer so I could do something similar with his sister.  A real treat though to spend time with him twice in one week as we engaged in a cautious discussion of the Red Sox.   He always picks a couple players to absolutely detest on the Sox and this year it’s Alfredo Aceves, one of the relievers and a real head case. 
Sox Beat Yankees in a Very Cold Stadium
I’m repeating the mantra to myself not to get excited about the Sox but they won again last night in Yankee Stadium.  They’ve dominated the Yanks in two straight games and looked good doing it.  I’ve tempered my excitement with the knowledge that this is a severely depleted Yankees team.  The Sox have shown timely hitting, hustle, and good defense – all aspects that were missing from last year’s team.  The only down side last night was a three run bomb given up, of course, by Mr. Aceves (that kid of mine – just too smart).
Buddy Last Night More Than a Little Green Eyed
I enjoy having the wife back to watch the games with; she’s a real baseball fan and hates the Yankees (told you she was lovable).  Buddy is a little put out by having to go back to sharing me with somebody else.  Every time my wife and I sit down on the couch together he pops up on the other side and forces his way into our conversations.  Last night as we were watching the game he launched himself onto the couch and took up position right in my lap.  He adores my wife but definitely does not like her intruding on the turf he established during her absence.
Trying to Protect His Turf
We were laughing about it last night when Buddy decided to lower his head dramatically.  Unfortunately his head landed on a fairly sensitive area which I had foolishly left unprotected.  An eighty pound black lab got to experience flight for an impressive distance when he realized what he had done and beat a hasty retreat.  My wife laughed uncontrollably.
Construction Site Down the Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment