Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pettiness is Next to Imbecility

Yesterday saw another day decompressing from the epic weekend in New Orleans and I was aided significantly in this by lunch with my favorite son. We met at our normal place and he updated me on life with the Most Excellent Girlfriend and the upcoming summer.  It was so heartwarming to see him perk up when I explained the issues causing delays on the construction project here in Worcester.  He immediately explained and understood everything that was going on – an honest to God engineer, my kid!
Lunch with This Guy Yesterday - Awesome!
It’s interesting in that I think I’m finally catching up to him.  I’ve always said he is so far ahead of where I was at the same age. As he gets older he’s now getting into the years where I kind of figured things out and started excelling as an Army officer.  He’s still much better paid than I ever was at his age but he’s worked hard for it – I’m so proud of that young man.
I compare the good feeling I get hanging around with him, his sister, the Roothuggers, etc, etc with the almost daily pettiness that seems to permeate so many people’s existence.  One of the most glaring examples of this is the current American political process.     

I do not understand why some people need to make comments or commit acts that serve no other purpose other than to inflict some kind of emotional pain on another.  It’s certainly not rational but seems to happen all the time.  Pettiness leads to over sensitivity as people misinterpret innocent comments as attacks. 
 
I think one of the most important things I’ve learned in life is the idiocy of pettiness.  We’re all in this together and if we rob the petty people of their power by not reacting to their personal failings – we’ll all be happier.
Downhill Construction - Foundation has been Poured - Behind SUV

No comments:

Post a Comment