Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Tolerant Judgment

Yesterday saw the initial reports from my wife’s deployment to Virginia start to trickle in.  As soon as she arrived and joined her fellow Latinas they did what comes naturally to all of them – they went shopping. 
My Wife and Her Two Friends Shopping
After Nine Hours Driving - That's Dedication
My day was much more mundane with the changes I’ll have to make to schedules in June in full swing.  The house was invaded by a very small frog which disappeared somewhere into the family room.  It eluded capture and will serve as a surprise when my wife returns.

For some reason I was reflecting a little bit on life yesterday and the importance of tolerance.  I have a few subordinate managers that have a tendency to do the ole  - "Ready, Fire, Aim!" thang.  They react to a situation before they have all the facts.  I think one of the most important things I’ve learned in life is not to judge other people’s actions by how you would have acted in the same circumstances.  This took me a long time to figure out. 

Everybody comes to a given situation with a completely different set of beliefs, education, abilities, and intelligence.  You have to try and understand where a person is coming from before you judge them too harshly.  They may be doing dumb things because they’re just not that smart or have never learned what they’re doing is dumb.  I’m doing a very poor job of explaining this but I’ve learned that expecting everybody to react to a situation the same way you would is borderline intolerant – never a good thing. 

I went to see the remake of one of my all time favorite movies – The Evil Dead, one of the greatest horror movies of all time.  I certainly could not have taken my wife to see this so her absence made my solo date night more appropriate. 
It turned out to be okay – lots of death along with buckets of blood and gore which is required in an Evil Dead movie.  The cast was a bit of a miss with the male lead Shiloh Fernandez just not up to the task blazed by Bruce Campbell.  The female lead was okay but didn’t look anything like the drug addict she was supposed to be.  The supporting cast was much better and should have been given more time over the two leads.  The best parts included subtle odes to the old movie:  the demon racing over the ground, the old car (as a relic here), and the chain saw (gotta have the chain saw).  This movie had a much bigger budget than the original but I found the older movie a lot scarier maybe due no use of CGI.  All in all, a good, but certainly not great horror movie. 
Okay - So Maybe A Little Beyond Capacity
I topped off the night by treating myself to a fire out on the deck.  I guess the Evil Dead really wasn’t as scary as the original because I wasn’t leery of going out into the dark (course it wasn’t that dark when I got the bonfire going).  When I cleaned up the basement recently I came across several faded American flags that I knew had to be taken care of properly.  I refused to consign them to the trash.  Once I had the old bed parts blazing merrily I placed the flags into the fire, repeated the pledge of allegiance and saluted.  I know it sounds really corny but a large part of my life was dedicated to defending that flag and it really means something to me.  I even checked the internet to insure I was doing things appropriately: 

"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning"
Buddy accompanied me out onto the deck and repeatedly tried to steal the piece of wood I was using to stir the coals.  The neighbors a couple houses down also had a deck fire going on at the same time, although mine was a bit bigger. I tend to get a little out of control once I get a fire going.  My wife wasn’t around to caution me so this fire was pretty epic.  She did get a face time video call in so I was able to share the fire with her but by that time it had waned to a sane level so I avoided castigation.
My Demon Dog Settling for a Bone Instead of Fire Wood
 

No comments:

Post a Comment