Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Failing to Keep My Big Mouth Shut

Well the only thing of importance that happened anywhere in the world yesterday apparently was that a former NBA player revealed that he was gay.  The fact that the Israelis had something nice to say about an Arab Peace Plan, that armed militias surrounded the Libyan Justice Ministry threatening that fragile democracy, or that there was actual good news on the US national debt all paled in comparison with the news that a former jock actually sleeps with other dudes.
Brave Dude!
I applaud Jason Collins for coming out, something that took real courage in the testosterone laden world of professional sports, but c’mon, that was the biggest news story of the day?  There has always been a serious isolationist streak to America and the assigned importance of this story by the national media and their breathless coverage of it provides ample evidence of that.  We need to get over our fascination with celebrities and athletes.  They’re not worthy of the consideration we afford them.

I used to torture my sister every Christmas by engaging in a debate about gay rights.  I didn’t believe the very hateful things I said but it was fun to see her spin into the stratosphere as I said more and more outrageous things.  I’m so proud of my children’s generation where the issue of who sleeps with who isn’t really an issue any more.  Finding love with another person is probably the most important thing a human can do and they should be allowed the dignity to do it on their own terms. 

Again, there are so many more important things going on that we should be focused on but once again with the national media can’t seem to get out of their own way. Their motto seems to be – “No horse is too dead to beat”. 

A friend e-mailed me the photo below which I think speaks volumes about what we don’t get from the national media.  Former President Bush hosted wounded Warriors at his ranch for ten weekends over the past year in a genuine expression of gratitude for their service and sacrifice.  However this is no where near as important at whatever new low the Kardashians have sunk to – a little perspective please!
Not The Ogre the Media Would Have You Believe
In keeping with the above paragraphs, I do occasionally experience problems with keeping my mouth shut.  My wife knows how to use that to her advantage – playing me like a guitar.  While she was dragging me around the flower shops this past weekend, knowing that I was in dire pain, she started looking at raised flower beds – something she’s wanted for a couple years.  I was aghast at the prices – somewhere north of $500.  I boldly proclaimed, based on my years long viewing of This Old House, that I could build one myself for a lot less.  I could actually feel the trap spring shut as soon as the words left my mouth as an amused expression spread across my wife’s face.

So yesterday, after work, I headed to Home Depot to peruse the lumber aisles.  I’d spent part of the day trolling the internet for plans and came up with what I think will be a winner.  My problem has never been the will or desire to do something like this – only the ability.    I loaded the car with the lumber and put the 12 foot long post on top (thanks to the guy in the parking lot who gave me good advice on securing it).  Since the very heavy post was riding on top of the skylight window on my wife’s car – the ride home was fraught with a little tension. 
The Future Planter - I Hope!
I unloaded my haul into the garage and faithful assistant Buddy and I got right to work.  My wife came down to inspect and I could see she was a little worried about what her machinations had wrought.  I had the family vacuum set up to catch saw dust while I merrily sawed away (see Norm – I was paying attention).  Tonight I’ll start doing the assembly – this should be fun!
So It Begins - Note The Effective Use of Safety Glasses

No comments:

Post a Comment