Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Tuesday Retaliation

Yesterday was about as mundane a day that I’ve run into in a long time.  Luckily it was rescued by date night last night with my cute Panamanian.  I picked up her renovated shoes from the cobbler yesterday.  They had their heels lowered by an inch to help the stress on her back.  She was excited about the results and modeled the shoes all over the house, confusing Buddy a great deal.
Hard to Believe They Were Even Higher
Now that the snow has melted I’ve been getting back to running each afternoon and it was about as painful as I imagined but at least the hip worked which had concerned me.  Monday the temps were in the high sixties so I left all my “snivel gear” at home yesterday.  As I headed out on my run in the afternoon I noticed it was a little nippy and when I passed a bank the temperature posted was 34 degrees.  Ahhh, spring in New England!
I was finally feeling a little warm when I got home and we headed out for our date night movie – GI Joe: Retaliation.  This was pretty much what you would expect and I could see why it was delayed so long.  It was kind of a mess.  They obviously couldn’t figure out where to go with it and so it was all over the place.  A couple of the big stars are just shoe horned into the plot for brief appearances while the newcomers, Rock and Adrienne Palicki, take on major roles. 
Luckily this kind of stuff is right down the Rock’s alley and Palicki once again shows some real screen presence as well as wearing the hell out of a red dress.  She also handled the action scenes very credibly, if that makes any sense.  There were a couple of really memorable scenes (other than the red dress), like the ninja fight in the Himalayas (hey, we’re talking GI Joe here), but overall this comes out as kind of flat and formulaic. 

Speaking of retaliation, I wish there was someway to cause people who text and drive to self-immolate.  Each day as I drive into work, invariably there will be someone who misses a traffic light or are just plain not paying attention while they drift all over the road.  I was behind one such lady today.  What message is so important that you would take your eyes off the road while piloting a ton of metal down the street at speed.  You hear each day how someone is killed in a traffic accident caused by texting.   I know this is Darwinism at work as this becomes a way to cull the human herd of idiots but they’re taking some good people with them.   There has to be a way to disable texting applications while operating a vehicle and making that standard on all new vehicles.   

No comments:

Post a Comment