Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston

I was putting my thoughts together yesterday afternoon about what I was going to write for today’s blog.  I was going to chronicle a very mundane day spent recovering from a weekend of excess along with a stirring Red Sox win when idiocy raised its ugly head once more.

My son was flying out of Boston yesterday and the bombings took place just a few blocks from where my daughter went to college.  Boston really is the cultural center of New England.  Anybody that grows up in New England (well except for Vermont and New York infected areas of Connecticut) looks at Boston as our centerpiece.  Although that feeling may come grudgingly to some, it’s there. 

In keeping with my previously stated stance on not providing the morally corrupt, incredibly dim purveyors of this type of senseless carnage with what they want – notoriety, I won’t focus on them.  They will face the inexorable justice that comes from such bankrupt acts both in this life and the next.  I will not dignify their lack of humanity by bemoaning the act, which by its very nature speaks eloquently of the sincere lack of any decency.

I would like to focus on the response.  While I was horrified by the attacks I was inspired by the response.  All those nameless heroes, whether in uniform or not, who immediately responded to the need.  They went to help their fellow humans because it was the right thing to do. 
Heroes All
It was extremely providential that the attack occurred right next to the medical facilities set up for the marathon end and that Boston boasts some of the best hospitals in the world.  All of that contributed to saving lives yesterday.

The stories are starting to emerge as these nameless heroes rushed to help horribly wounded victims.  This all happened with the imminent threat of additional explosions.  That is what I’ll take away from yesterday – the inspiration of those heroes who put the need to help strangers ahead of their own safety.    

That is why the bombers of the world will never win.  Instead of gaining notoriety they expose the true decency of most people.  They provide the object lesson that most people are good. 

Speaking for that majority – we’ll be coming for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment