Sunday, April 7, 2013

Wedded Fun

Yesterday was my day to stop by and make sure the guys working the weekend were doing their jobs.  It made for a mundane Saturday morning but my wife bravely arose early to bless me with her signature chocolate chip pancakes.  When I returned home she had disappeared to handle some shopping and a visit with Luigi the hairdresser.  We had a wedding to attend so she needed to make the required adjustments (I don’t ask anymore).
What Were They Thinking?
I returned home and found myself in possession of that rare commodity – free time.  I finished off the last of Season 2 of the original Star Trek series and started out on the third and final season.  I think I know now why the series failed.  I noticed a serious decline in quality of writing in the second half of the second season and an absolute nose dive with the third season.  The first episode of the third season had some scantily clad babe stealing Spock’s brain.  Of course, they kept him moving with some sort of remote control.  This episode had some of the most painfully ludicrous lines in the history of TV.  Shatner’s overacting also really spikes starting with the third season.  It’s been interesting to watch the original series again but this third season could get painful.
Ruh Roh!
I stepped out of Star Trek long enough to see the Sox lose a tough one.  One of my sneaky hopes for the season was a return to form by one of the most hated pitchers in Sox history, John Lackey, who was returning from a yearlong injury.  He looked really good too, until he grimaced in pain and left the game holding his surgically repaired pitching arm.  My son’s ace, Aceves, entered the game and gave up his obligatory three run bomb and the game was essentially over.
The wedding was about 45 minutes away and was scheduled to start at 6pm, so when it was 4:30 and I still hadn’t heard from my missing wife I started to get the all too familiar feeling that she had lost track of time.  I called her cell phone (which she didn’t answer, of course) and left a message reminding her that we had to leave the house by 5:15 if we were going to make it on time.  She rushed into the house at 4:55 and was blithely cavalier about the possibility of being late. 

To her credit she only took thirty minutes to get ready instead of her normal 120.  We still fractured a few traffic laws getting to the Pleasant Valley Country Club, where the wedding took place.  It was a very nice setting with lots of windows overlooking the fairways just starting to turn green.  We rushed into the room where the ceremony was taking place only to learn the wedding party’s bus got lost and the ceremony would start 15 minutes late (must be some Panamanians in the wedding party).
My Wife Greeting Some Friends - Pre-Ceremony
My wife used the time to tackle some old friends from work.  That was the best part of the night, reconnecting with these old friends.  I really like them and getting to sit down and enjoy their company was more than worth the effort.  The ceremony was very low key, performed by a justice of the peace who kept making wise cracks about the bride and groom.  A friend of the groom also did a reading which was memorable, if only for her spectacularly low cut dress.
The Ceremony
 
Seated Between Friends
Wife and Friends During Coctail Hour
The cocktail hour was so much fun as all of those friends gathered around a couple small tables.  The reception followed and we definitely ended up at a “Uecker Seat” table.  This made sense because we were not close friends or family of the bride.  I ended up separated from the closest of the friends from the reception but at least I had a certain beautiful Panamanian next to me (and she looked gorgeous in a dress our daughter bought for her).  I ended up being the only male at the table as the other guests at the table used their plus one for sisters instead of dates.  They were great people but I could have used another Y chromosome at the table. 
View From Our Table
My Beautiful Date
The food was truly awesome but we were cursed with maybe the worst DJ in the history of weddings.  He seemed like a nice guy, probably a friend of the family, but he was abysmal in his selections.  We did get some dancing in but the crowd was definitely not a dancing one.  I guess I’ve been spoiled by attending so many Latino weddings but the gringos were definitely not interested in stocking the dance floor.  In spectator sports news the lady who made the memorable reading bucked that trend and was one of the more energetic participants – very impressive.
My Wife and the Bride
The Dance Floor - Memorable Speaker in Purple Dress Crouching
 

1 comment:

  1. Mom looks great in the dress! So glad! I just looked at my phone and my response to your text with the image didn't send :( -- I was in a basement of a building for a comedy show, must have been the reason!

    ReplyDelete