Saturday, April 27, 2013

Friday Fades

I never really allowed myself to recover from a bit of over extension of what a middle aged body (and mind) should be capable of in New Orleans (C’mon it was New Orleans).  Unlike a certain wife, who shall go unnamed, I had to go immediately back to work on Tuesday.  It was for that cumulative reason that I was pleased that yesterday was Friday and heralded a somewhat more sedate weekend. 

The big boss did send me an apology e-mail yesterday which was semi-bizarre.  While it made me feel good that I hadn’t offended him too much by calling him out in the meeting on Thursday it was also weird that he mentioned he was undergoing a colonoscopy next week and they might find his brain while in there.  While this was definitely too much information it led me to wonder if he had started his meds too soon.
View From Brew City

My immediate, and certainly most excellent, boss called for a meeting of the minds at Brew City for a well-deserved (I, of course, setting the criteria) First Friday celebration.  It’s been a few weeks but I’m beginning to think we’ve established some sort of reputation there because the waitress, without a word from us, brought over the right drink order before we even sat down.  To think we once abandoned this place for poor service – it’s certainly changed.

Speaking of great service – my wife and I made it back to Zorba’s for the transcendent pizza and great company.  It was so nice to feel like we didn’t have to hurry to some event and could engage in some honest to God conversation (I made sure I couldn’t see ESPN too well – that helped).  The very cute waitress stopped by and said hi which immediately sent my wife into Eagle Eye Mode. 
My Beautifuyl Date at Zorba's Last Night
We decided to reward ourselves with a stop at Ronnie’s for some ice cream on the way home (after a Zorba’s pizza the cholesterol battle was lost for the day anyways).  Ronnie’s is something of a local landmark.  It closes for the winter and only recently re-opened. It only serves fish (which explains my lack of patronage) but also has a great ice cream counter.  We made our way around the long line waiting for fish and scored some truly awesome ice cream.  My only problem was the survival of my ice cream for the ride home due to some relentless poaching from my wife.
Ronnie's
We settled into the couch to watch yet another Red Sox win although the game felt like it was played in molasses, just so slow – seemed like several hundred foul balls.  While on the couch the week finally caught up with us (not to mention the beer, pizza, and ice cream) and I was taking the odd inning off by dozing through the more mundane events.  Felt good to have my favorite Panamanian right next to me – exactly the kind of evening I needed.
Styrofoam House Continues to Go Up Downhill

No comments:

Post a Comment