Saturday, August 3, 2013

Rebellious Mundanity

Yesterday was one of those mundane days at the office.  It was a beautiful summer day outside and I felt a definite pull to escape from behind the desk.  Unfortunately that was not to be.  On top of all that it was also a Friday which didn’t help with focus levels.  My great boss wasn’t available for a First Friday so I decided a run an errand of mercy on my way home.

A couple days ago I was less than receptive to some early morning supervision from the wife.  I’m guessing I could have been a little more sensitive in my rejection of her advice.  There were some bruised feelings from my lack of amenability which I decided to salve by the application of roses.  I think the Big Guy upstairs was adding to my penance because there were traffic problems that required a wide detour through two southern towns before I reached home.
Penance Roses
It turned out to be a nice surprise for her since she’d already forgotten about the incident.  This did nothing to reduce her enthusiasm for the roses.  We headed to Zorba’s for our weekly ritualistic consumption of dead animal flesh.  A fun evening, even if the Red Sox blew a game they should have won. 
My Zorba Date Last Night
I finished the next book in Jay Allan’s Crimson Worlds series, A Little Rebellion.  It takes the same characters from the preceding two books and places them in the middle of an interstellar rebellion against the nefarious Earth government.   
Allan continued his strong description of the small unit actions but he bogs down a little with the high level politics. It could just be I hate the need for such high level politicians.  I think Allan shares my disdain because he made the politicians dastardly to the extreme.  I think I’m going to take a break before continuing this series.  I felt the need for some squirming in my reading so I’m taking on the next Palahniuk book.  Note to self -  do not read this upcoming book on a full stomach, Chuck is not appropriate for a settled stomach. 
Son and MEF at a North Carolina Wedding Last Night - Miss Them
 

No comments:

Post a Comment