Friday, August 9, 2013

Anniversarial Kind of Day

Yesterday I was plagued with a reminiscing type melancholy all day.  I was cursed with meetings for most of the day but my mind kept sprinting back to the best weekend ever – the events surrounding my daughter’s wedding four years ago on August 8th.  I’ll remember that weekend until the day I die as one where everything came together and reflected the love she and her husband found in each other – just a perfect weekend.  In a coincidence smacking of kismet my son and MEF will tie the knot one year from today.  August is really starting to grow on me.
4 Years Ago - Great Picture of Happy Couple With the Two Moms on Either Side
 Alas, I was confronted with that full plate of meetings throughout most of the day so I couldn’t bask too long in the good feelings echoing over the years.  The first was with the politicians who were busily trying to cast blame and cover their own participation in the flawed process of schedules I’m trying to fix.  One of them, a guy I really like and admire, went so far as to claim we were discriminating against his favorite route.  A claim so ludicrous my boss spent some time calming me down so I didn’t rip off the claimant’s head and deposit fecal matter down his neck.  I guess it was a good thing I had the memories to retreat back into for a more civilized response.

My wife pulled a disappearing act yesterday with the assistance of her Maine friend who’s down for a weekend visit.  My wife put her newly acquired knowledge of shopping locations to immediate use (huge surprise).  When she finally did call about 8pm she was bubbling with excitement despite the 7 hours of shopping she’d already accomplished (a point I would be considering self destruction).   
Shopping Buddies Late Night Return With Spoils of War
She and her friend went out for a late dinner while Buddy and I contemplated the universe from our respective couch potato perches.  My contemplation was shattered with a phone call from the aforementioned daughter and son in law.  They were in a NYC hotel room about to head out for their anniversary dinner.  Hearing the joy and love in their voices brought back that weekend again – I’ll have to thank them for that.  My wife and her friend finally returned a little after 11pm having terrorized a local Chili restaurant for several hours.  Just a great day of the ebb and flow of life.  
Downhill Construction Progress - Windows Installed

No comments:

Post a Comment