Sunday, August 18, 2013

Boss Day

Yesterday was spent getting ready for a party with my current boss (the most excellent one) and my first boss when I got out of the Army.  We get together every now and then because we had great chemistry during the time all three of us worked together and we can always recapture it even if we hadn’t seen each other in a while.

Having a party meant getting the house ready but my wife had performed her usual Herculean prep phase so they was very little to do outside mowing the lawn and answering her whenever she found some new minutiae.  I moved the car out of the garage so I could get to the lawn mower and invited Buddy in partly to ensure I didn’t run him over while I was backing up. He has a bad habit of capering around the car trying to gain access.
Buddy in the Middle of his Sit In
Once the car was outside I opened the door but he refused to get out.  He staged a protest that he hadn’t received a full ride.  I opened both doors and started in on my chores but Buddy remained steadfast.  After twenty minutes I relented and gave him a quick ride around the block with his head at full extension out the window.  When I pulled back into the driveway my wife just shook her head in comical understanding.  Buddy immediately jumped out of the car since we had met his demands.

My excellent boss showed up in his brand new car; what he refers to as his “toy”.  He had a Vette as a young man but now that his daughter was through college and married off he cajoled his wife into buying this cherished memory from his youth. 
Boss' New Toy
The rest of us immediately started plying him with liquor in order to get a test ride.  The last time this group had gotten together was in January 2011 when Tebow was still playing for the Broncos against the Patriots.  Lots happened since then but the camaraderie immediately returned.

My First Two Civilian Bosses and I
Awesome People
We re-visited a success from the engagement party with another sample of the sirloin tip steaks from the local butcher which repeated their star turn.  Everybody brought a dish and we spent most of the time out on the deck since it was another sensational New England summer day.  The other ladies were extremely complimentary of my wife’s vast flower gardens which I guess I take a little bit for granted since I see them every day.  I’m glad she got the recognition for all her hard work. 
Sirloin Tip Steaks Down range
Buddy could not repeat his success from the engagement party.  During the cocktail phase we had a lot of dips and cheese on the low lying table on the deck.  Buddy was left inside to prevent his well known proclivity to raid any food left low enough (even with a small leap).  He responded to this exclusion by hurling himself repeatedly against the glass door to the deck.  I could tell he realized he’d overplayed his hand as soon as I walked in the door because without a word he immediately made his way to the cage for the remainder of time food was within his established target zone. 
Foods Away and Buddy Returns
Surrounded by Friends
A couple of the guys and I would sneak away from the crowd every now and then to check in on the Red Sox – Yankees game.  As they have done all year when it looks like they are going to go into a typical Sox swoon, this team turns itself around.  They executed a crisp, statement win over the Yankees’ best pitcher.  There’s just something about this team. 
Hee Hee
The day ended too soon but as I fell asleep on the couch unsuccessfully trying to watch a movie I was content with a day spent really well.  Nothing beats good friends, except family but those damned kids are always too far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment