Monday, August 12, 2013

Cable Strong

On Friday night we had a small power outage overnight, realized only when I found all the digital clocks in the house flashing.  I didn’t think it was a big deal until I went downstairs and found my wife’s television in the kitchen would not turn on.  There was absolutely no power coming into the cable box.
My wife declared that she couldn’t possibly cook until the cable was restored.  She didn’t appreciate my pointing out that we spent the first five years in the house without a television there.  That ship has apparently sailed.

I steeled myself and prepared to deal with the arduous task of talking to the cable company’s computer on the off chance I might eventually speak with an actual human.  Five minutes in, my patience was rewarded by the magic words, “Say Agent if you wish to speak with a real person” (paraphrased a bit here). 

I was pleasantly surprised when the nice young lady immediately set up a service call for the next day – a Sunday.  She initially set up between 10-12 but I told her that wouldn’t work due to church.  She then set it up for 1-3 in the afternoon.  I proudly announced to my wife that against all odds I had rescued the day.

Then came yesterday.  We returned from church to find a message from the cable dudes saying they had been there at 10:30 and since we weren’t home we had to reschedule.  Faced with having to spend another spell with the cable company computer I kind of lost it.  I called the poor service person that left the message and said the appointment was supposed to be from 1-3.  He said that’s not what he had been sent out on and there was nothing he could do about it.  I let him have it a bit and then succumbed to the inevitable and took on the phone computer again.

Then my luck started to turn.  I was quickly assigned to a live person (maybe the computer can sense a caller’s mood).  She pulled up the record from my earlier call which clearly stated the 1-3 appointment.  To her credit and my intense pleasure she put me on hold while she personally called the local dispatch office and got my 1-3 appointment re-instated.

Less than forty minutes later not one but two cable trucks showed up at the house with two young technicians.  I sheepishly asked if one of them was the guy I berated over the phone (he was).  After a series of profound apologies on my part they quickly replaced the faulty cable box and my wife’s ability to cook was restored.   
Cable Dudes Arive
As part of their routine they check the performance of all the cable systems in the house and noted I wasn’t getting as good an internet signal as I should (who knew).  I wrote a couple weeks ago about my successful installation of a new modem and thought I had screwed up even though service improved afterwards.  After some head scratching experiments they eventually figured out the original cable guy had wired the internet so it had to go through my wife’s bat-phone to Panama modem before going to the wireless.  This explained the somewhat spotty internet signal.   
New Configuration
They replaced the regular phone modem and the brand new modem I had installed with a single piece of equipment.  They said I should see a quantum leap in performance.  I know most people have only bad things to say about their cable company but in this case Charter Cable and these excellent techs went over and above and totally restored the faith of a very disgruntled customer.  Nice to see that kind of effort is still being made. 
Huge Fan Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment