Thursday, August 8, 2013

High and Heat

Wednesdays returned to the pantheon of looked forward to days yesterday with the re-institution of my weekly luncheon with my favorite son.  Our mutual schedules had prevented it for a couple weeks and I had a real jones for spending some time with him.
Son and I Yesterday
Even better my wife decided to come with me to surprise our son.  It made for a very lively lunch conversation compared to our usual stately pace.  It’s sometimes tough getting words in edgewise with the lively Panamanian.  I made the mistake of calling that to her attention at one point which inflicted some awkwardness in an otherwise sublime time.      
Son and His Mother
To make up some ground I surprised her on our way back to Worcester by taking some back roads and pinpointing a shopping location she had craved to learn more about; talk about your self-inflicted wounds!  I went on to point out one of her favorite shopping haunts was only a short distance down the road.  I have knowingly contributed to the demise of my bank account.  It was worth the price to see her excitement.

Speaking of excitement, I spent another late night with the Red Sox who waited until the last possible minute and well after midnight to win another game in dramatic fashion.  Stephen Drew was the hero last night with a huge home run.  Apparently he doesn’t ascribe to the family trait of taking called 3rd strikes in critical junctures. 
Well All Right!!!!
 I knocked off a Lee Child Jack Reacher novella yesterday, High Heat.  I think Mr. Child may be letting Jack’s success go to his head.  The story has a 16 year old Jack Reacher showing up in New York City for a day.  Inside of a few hours he demolishes a Mafioso, breaks up a drug ring, picks up a college girl, and assists in the capture of the Son of Sam.  I know he’s Jack Reacher, but this was a bit much, even for Reacher.  I still loved the story though, it was Reacher. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment