Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Engulfed in the Storm

Yesterday was D-day for the weekday version of all the schedule changes.  That meant a day spent down at the hub explaining the changes to our loving customer base.  I was engulfed for the entire day with a social strata I am not normally exposed to and I loved it.

These are some truly interesting people who look at life from an entirely different, and at times, fascinating perspective.  I talked football with some and metaphysics with another (I think that’s what it was). 
The Morning Crowd
One of the voices of inappropriate value cornered me for a tortuous twenty minutes where I finalized my personal verdict for her – severe cognitive issues.  I also learned the source of her in depth knowledge of the bus system - she is “dating” one of the worst bus drivers we have.   
Our First Fully Electric Bus Coming in From its First Trip Ever
One of the few people who actually used the cross walk fell down and sprayed the crowd with ice coffee.  I went over to find out why we had a guy sprawled on the ground.  He was surrounded by the coffee soaked crowd and was trying to get up and asking for assistance.  One of those “I’ve fallen and can’t get up” moments.  Everyone in the crowd refused to help because they were afraid of getting sued – like I said – an entirely different perspective.

I asked the guy if he wanted help and he admitted he was more embarrassed than hurt and needed to get up to make his bus.  I helped him to his feet while everybody around started to explain to him why they didn’t help.  Off he went to his bus and job at a local deli – I might avoid that place in the future. 
The Afternoon Bunch
All in all it was a good day.  The schedule changes worked exactly as designed.  Some people will never be happy but the entire tone of the conversation down there has changed, amazing.  This is one of the reasons I enjoy working in Worcester – really exotic denizens.

Speaking of exotic denizens, I accidently re-read one of my favorite author’s, John Ringo, book Eye of the Storm.  His stuff is finally on the kindle net and I ordered this thinking I hadn’t read it but fifty pages in realized that I had. 
I guess this is another sign of aging because I can see not remembering a title but taking fifty pages is a bit troubling.  I love Ringo’s battle scenes which are amongst the most compelling I’ve ever read.  He’s obviously spent time in uniform because his description of unit dynamics are always spot on.  This is a book spent setting up a climatic end to his Legacy of the Aldenata series and its fun to finally have the Darhel back on their heels.  Unfortunately too much time is spent getting into excruciating detail on some of the background which is not Ringo’s strength; this was probably needed to flesh out the book to proper size. Ringo is so popular now that editors must have much less impact.  Luckily the battle scenes are worth wading through the rest of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment