Sunday, August 4, 2013

Downhill Fun

Yesterday was one of those perfect New England summer days.  Unfortunately for Buddy the Wonder Pooch that meant a long delayed bath; something he truly hates.  I sometimes think I have to check his Labrador retriever card because he seems to hate water.  He survived with a little better patience than usual.

That was before I brought his cage out for cleaning while he was on the deck drying out.  He went berserk.  It was almost like he was saying, “Hey!  I spent a lot of time acquiring those smells!”.  He watched forlornly from the deck while those smells were hosed out.  He’ll just have to adjust to a clean house.
Buddy's Cage Gets Hosed Out While He Watches from the Deck
We were invited down hill to the surprise birthday party for our neighbor two houses down.  I really like both of these two neighbors and their young son who was the dancing star of our January party.  I was a little nervous because the only people we knew were the hosts and the next door neighbors but that quickly dissolved when we joined a very fun crowd around the pool.  This was just a great collection of people although there were several Yankee fans.  We established a circle of chairs and then started waxing eloquently about a variety of subjects, including comparisons of respective baseball teams (that was fun). 
Party Seen From Our Back Yard
The birthday girl arrived from her diversionary shopping trip and was totally surprised.  Kudos to the husband and young son for maintaining security.  The meal rolled around with mounds of smoked chicken and cheeseburgers!!!  I kept getting called back to help with the mounds of cheeseburgers – what can I tell you – I’m a team player.  The host did inspire my wife with tales of the smoker he used to cook the chicken.  My wife was troublingly intrigued.  My wife tried to tempt me with the fabulous looking birthday cake but at that point my cheeseburger intake precluded any further consumption – even if it was allowed keto wise.  We spent the afternoon just sitting around talking and drinking but when you do that with fun people – it elevates the experience to something special. 
The Birthday Girl Arrives
My wife uncharacteristically drank a lot of wine – since she didn’t have to perform her usual designated driver duties.  We just had to maintain our ability to crawl back up hill.  We did that as the sun was setting in time to watch the debut of the Sox new acquisition – Jake Peavy.

My wife succumbed to the effects of the wine while I woke her up periodically to update her on the game’s progress. Peavy came as advertised – he looked like an absolute horse and provided just the kind of effort the Sox needed.  I hope Lester was watching to see what a stud pitcher is supposed to look like.  A great day. 
Thanks Jake!

No comments:

Post a Comment