Monday, January 23, 2017

Onslaught – Whiners Boxed

Patriots Score!
To coin a very old saying, last night was about as much fun as I can remember having with my clothes on. The Patriots, ably supporting by their fan enclave in Glendale, CA (for now), thoroughly thrashed the outmatched Steelers to head for their record 9th Super Bowl. I know its petty (but who isn’t at times) but I enjoyed the game even more when I thought about the whiny Steelers fans I ran into last year in Pittsburgh. The Keene Friend and I had traveled there to celebrate the Pittsburgh Roommate’s birthday and met a number of his friends at the party that night.
The Conqueror
Great Night
They were really nice people until they found out we were Patriots fans and then proceeded to tell us we were some form of pond scum and don’t get them started on what a pristine, angelic team the Steelers were. I was surprised at the time because I’d generally admired the Steelers for their success over the years and found this whiny attitude unbecoming. After this year when they were caught with their own underinflated footballs (conveniently swept under the rug by their buddy the commish) and had their star player acting the self-involved fool just before the biggest game of the year, it was fitting to see them pounded into submission by the clearly better team.
Getting Ready for Game


Like I said, petty, but supremely satisfying as Mr. Brady surgically dismantled the big talkers from Pittsburgh who I’m sure are conjuring up excuses and trying to cast aspersions on their masters as a way to explain away their loss. My operations manager and his lady joined us in the Man Cave to witness the massacre where the biggest star (on the east coast) was the sub-woofer my son gave me. It was pumping out some serious crowd noise for the entire game and we felt like we were in the stadium except we were warm, dry and not applying for a second mortgage to pay for snacks.
Today's Morale Photos



They were great companions as we exulted in this penultimate victory of the season. Buddy was excluded since we didn’t want to keep the snacks above his foraging zone, he didn’t handle the exclusion with a lot of class. The above mentioned California contingent texted the photo above when the Patriots scored their first touchdown. She was really into the game but seemed to enjoy the commercials a lot more than the game itself. I’m worried about her re-location to New Jersey near the home grounds to two of the Patriots’ most hated nemeses, Jets and Giants.

Daughter in LA on Saturday

I also finally saw some of the pictures from the Los Angeles women’s march on Saturday. My daughter and some of her friends participated, along with 700,000 other likeminded people. Although we don’t always agree on politics I was supremely proud of her when I saw the pictures. Trump, if nothing else, has awoken a sleeping giant of political involvement which will do our country well in the long run. My daughter also posted a picture of my granddaughter with the caption, “Why I marched”. Like I said – supremely proud.
Little Frosty Out this Morning

No comments:

Post a Comment