Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Kitchenated Day Off

Wife and Freind at Silverman's Yesterday
She’s done it again. I’ve got to get a look at my wife’s play book because an offhand conversation about changing the floor covering in the kitchen ended up being a fairly robust kitchen re-model. We had the creator of Deckzilla stop by to answer the question on changing out the kitchen floor. My wife wants the laminated wood floor we have in all the other first floor rooms extended to the kitchen. During this discussion she innocently mentioned that she wanted the center island cabinets moved in preparation of “someday” getting a modified island and granite counters. Deckzilla guy highly recommended we get the cabinet and counters done before the floor.
I Thought the Kitchen was Fine, As Is
So yesterday we were out cabinet shopping. I was able to ascertain the make of the existing cabinets and going online learned there is one vendor for this type of cabinets in Worcester. We stopped by there and ended up talking with an elderly gentleman who was very practical and after hearing what we (my wife) wanted sketched everything out and gave us a very good price. The new island cabinets arrive in two weeks. That means I’ve got to get Deckzilla guy back to move the exiting island cabinet to the new location in preparation for that. She’s out with the Mafioso right now shopping for granite. I’m still trying to figure out how we got here; she’s good.
Wife with Mafioso and Other Friends
The entire day wasn’t spent out shopping. In the morning we attended the funeral for the Mafioso’s mother who passed away a couple weeks ago. It was a simple yet heartfelt ceremony for a lady who’d spent the last few years of her life in a nursing home with devoted care from her daughter, the Mafioso. You never have a good time at a funeral but it was nice seeing so many friends gathered together. They hosted a post ceremony luncheon at our favorite dancing spot – Maxwell Silverman’s. Kind of strange to see the place virtually deserted and no disco ball cooking off.
Even with all this going on I snuck away to see a movie, by myself. I was alone because I couldn’t convince my wife to see an epic love story told against a backdrop of class structure…At this point my daughter interrupted this description by saying, “Dad, you went to see Underworld, didn’t you”. For some reason my wife ( and my daughter for that matter) doesn’t appreciate a good vampire versus werewolf flick, go figure. Underworld: Blood Wars can be recommended for its only socially redeeming feature – Kate Beckinsale back in skin tight lycra spandex as the heroine vampire fighting against both sides. Tris Prior’s boyfriend, Four, is back to assuage the teenybopper crowd. I really liked the first couple movies in this series but it’s devolved into a loosely assembled series of CGI fights superimposed on a very shaky script. Still hard to ignore that lycra.

I tried to make amends on the wifely front by taking her back to the movies last night to see Silence. I figured a movie about Catholic faith would resonate with my uber-Catholic spouse. That was before we spent nearly three hours being subjected to Martin Scorsese’s vanity project. It is beautifully shot and wonderfully acted but in the end, very depressing. Spiderman and Kylo Ren team up to search for Liam Neeson, a missing priest in 17th century Japan. It’s nice to finally have someone searching for Liam. The Japanese are singularly unwelcoming and spend almost the entire movie conducting a psychological operation against imprisoned Spiderman. I really appreciated the technical aspects of the film, Marty is still the master but this evolved into a real snoozefest for the wife. Finding faith even in the face of silence from God is a tricky prospect and while poignant at times, not very entertaining.
Grampa - No Comment on Me - I Find that Disturbing

I Was Out Playing with Freinds This Weekend

We Had a Good time

Now Where's That Cat?

How do I End up in these Predicaments?

No comments:

Post a Comment