Friday, January 20, 2017

Mortality Week

California Perfection
This has evolved into the week of funerals and wakes. The mother of one of our neighbors from Charlton passed away and we journeyed up to Fitchburg for her wake last night. The neighbors  moved to Maryland (we stopped in to see them back in October) so it was very nice seeing them again despite the unfortunate circumstances. Getting there proved to be a monumental task. It would normally be a twenty to thirty minute drive to Fitchburg from Worcester but last night it took over an hour. Traffic was backed up for miles when we just short of our exit. This was also during the evening commute so the roads were packed. We were halfway through the backup when one of the cars in front of us burst into flames. The passengers had already bailed out but the motor on this very old car must have cooked off after waiting in the slow traffic for so long. I’m just glad we got past it before the Fire Department closed the road completely to get at it.
Today's Photos To Remind Everyone how Lucky We are


Yesterday started out poorly because it began with the monthly board meeting where I once again got to immerse myself in the nonsensical ravings of career politicians. Most of them are great people but there are a couple that just love the sound of their own voice. The worst offender of this, I always add fifteen minutes to the length of the meeting when he walks in, was in high form. Later in the day I was back with some of the administration folks for a budget meeting and one said that this same hero came up to him about board members speaking when they didn’t understand the issue. I complimented the guy telling me this because he claimed to keep a straight face the entire time. I would have been reduced to tears if he said it to me.

Still Loves to Read

I’ve always been a proponent of speaking only when you have something pertinent to say. My wife, my diametric opposite in this regard, continually told me during my military career that I should speak more, especially in social situations with superiors. She’d see some of my peer officers “playing the game” flitting around generals like the proverbial flies around offal. I was always more content to drink beer with my buddies than engage in this type of posterior osculation. I did alright professionally so, no regrets. I don’t have the patience, tolerance of idiocy, or inclination to be a politician.









No comments:

Post a Comment