Friday, January 13, 2017

Day Long into Night

California Dudette
The day long leadership retreat I put together for our mid-level supervisors got off to a rocky start yesterday due to technology. My logistics chief assured me everything was ready the day before but when I showed up they still hadn’t successfully connected to the internet which was where all the presentations for the day were located. The scariest part was me figuring out what was wrong which landed a devastating blow to my confidence in certain people. I couldn’t get mad at the logistics chief as her husband was in a nearby hospital recovering from open heart surgery but it was frustrating.
At the Retreat Yesterday

A Role Playing Exercise
The rest of the day was exactly what I hoped it would be with a chance for this level of supervisors to address many of the issues percolating with them. We had the expert moderator that I wrote about in yesterday’s blog post overseeing everything and guiding the discussion where it needed to go. I’m not usually happy spending the whole day in navel contemplation but this was needed and turned out better than I could have hoped, well except for the FTA video which was a snooze fest.
The Driver's Council, I'm Standing Next to union BA
Facilitator is on Far Right
We followed this up with a cocktail hour and dinner at Joey’s in Worcester. That was a hell of a lot of fun because I’ve never had the opportunity to hang around with many of them away from work. We also invited the Council of Drivers that I’ve been working with. They got to see me away from the office and maybe don’t think I’m such the dour authority figure some of them thought, at least with a couple Coors Lites under my belt.

Group of the Supervisors
Pee Wee the cat returned home in California last night as the entire family was together for the first time since before Christmas (pets are part of the family, duhh). The First Blog Reader was overwhelmed with emotion at seeing her feline quarry return and subjected him to serial hugs. I’m sure Pee Wee was a little alarmed at the immense increase in mobility by her pursuer who was barely walking when they last saw each other. By the time we FaceTimed last night Pee Wee was gathering his thoughts underneath and behind whatever piece of furniture was available.  





No comments:

Post a Comment