Monday, January 30, 2017

Mission Complete

Two Disney Beauties
I’m hesitant to use that phrase given its employment by one of our former presidents. I’ll excuse him in his failure because he was surrounded by Navy personnel at the time. Everyone is back home from their weekend Florida adventure but the California Contingent had a bad day of it with a flight delay that didn’t get them back into LA until 2:30 in the morning. It’s the kind of thing that makes you want to move back to the east coast.
Hey Mickey!
My wife made it back ahead of schedule despite getting slightly disoriented and wandering the vast Orlando airport in search of the JetBlue counter. I abandoned my floor removal project long enough to dash up to the airport thinking I had twenty minutes to spare when she called wondering where I was. Her flight arrived nearly a half hour early which would be a good thing if I was operating on that same time schedule. It was good to have her back and she regaled me with tales of the continued excellence of our granddaughter on the trip home.
The cosmos apparently didn’t think ripping up the entire first floor flooring was challenging enough for me over the weekend. The power failed at the company on Saturday night which I didn’t think was a big deal because we have a pair of huge generators that could literally power half of Worcester. While the generator did come on they don’t appear to be connected to anything other than the emergency lighting was virtually useless in running daily operations. I had to make several trips to the building on Sunday to rectify situations that arose because of the power outage.
Saturday Morning

Sunday Night
This turned out to be something of a Godsend because I needed the break. Chiseling under each of the kitchen tiles and prying them up was not a lot of fun. I finally arrived at a technique which had the least (but still measurable) impact on my back. The Mafioso and his daughter showed up to see the remains of the laminate flooring stored in the garage which I’m giving to them for their basement. I went back downstairs to put on some warmer clothing but by the time I got back upstairs they had loaded up the entire amount (my back silently thanked them).
Condo Progress - People Standing in Ours on Left Side
By the time I picked up my wife all I had left to remove was the floor under the refrigerator. She tried to make up for neglecting her supervisory role in the house by advising me on better techniques for this remaining section. I pointed out the work I had already accomplished without her “expert” advice and asked if she didn’t have some unpacking to do. So the floor is completely removed and the hardwood started showing up this morning. I’m a little proud of myself for getting this done over a couple days but the middle aged body is staging its own form of protest right now.

Today’s morale photo injection:




No comments:

Post a Comment