Thursday, January 5, 2017

Frosty Morn

The Happy Girl
I relearned a very important lesson this morning. One should not sweep a deck in slippers when said deck is covered in ice. I know that sound like a no brainer but some of us (guilty) have an inflated opinion of both their balance and physical prowess. I’ve been sweeping Deckzilla free of snow this winter because that’s Buddy’s chosen path to his constitutional grounds. I underestimated the crusty nature of the ice this morning and on my first pass ended with my feet well above my head a nanosecond after I started.
Deckzilla This Morning
This is not the preferred position on an icy morning, especially for a middle aged man clad in a T-shirt, sweat pants and the offending (seemingly lubricated) slippers. If I’d had more time to think about it I would have tried for some sort of elegant landing but time was at a severe premium in mid-air. I think (hope) my long dormant paratrooper training kicked in as I tucked my chin, brought my arms in, and aimed the impact point away from my neck, a solid course of action. My immediate concern, after ascertaining no major physical damage or exsanguination, was to get to my feet as quickly as possible in case any neighbors had caught my acrobatic start to the day. I was able to make to the feet quickly because the low traction slippers were thrown several feet away which made retrieval in bare feet, interesting.
Getting Ready for the Next Pats Game
Yesterday was a good day even though I started it off with a two hour presentation and tour of the facility for the Worcester Chamber of Commerce. They were an interesting bunch and I truly enjoyed exchanging information with them. Many are facing the same type challenges I am in running their businesses. It was one of those things you dread going in but turns out to be a completely positive experience.

Not In California Right Now
Not much news coming out of New Jersey other than a commute from hell for my daughter yesterday. A late day meeting pushed her NYC departure back and then there were train issues which delayed her return home until almost eight PM. Wingman handled granddaughter duties until that point. Both of them looked equally exhausted last night when we spoke. I certainly hope this doesn’t quell their thoughts of returning to the east coast.




No comments:

Post a Comment