Saturday, May 10, 2014

Victory Laps Into Weekend Prep

Putin in Crimea Yesterday
Old Vladimir was up to his usual hijinks yesterday rubbing the West’s collective face in the dirt with a victory lap around his virtually bloodless seizure of another country’s sovereign territory by taking a victory lap around Sevastopol, Crimea.  I don’t want the Cantankerous Friend’s head to explode so I won’t belabor what an abject failure in international leadership this represents for the US president.  One can only hope he and the similarly weak kneed, Russian-gas dependent, European leaders aren’t recorded in history as the 21st century’s version of Neville Chamberlain fifty years from now.  Meanwhile in Eastern Ukraine Putin’s second phase land grab appears on schedule with a referendum this weekend that will serve as his invitation to annex more of his neighbor and move inexorably closer to NATO’s borders.
I went with a default Friday yesterday which is never a bad thing.  My excellent boss had us firmly ensconced in Brew City for a marking of First Friday by 4pm.  This was followed by a date night at Zorba’s with a devastatingly beautiful Panamanian. The owner was also impressed enough with my date that he sent over a free dessert.  The dessert’s arrival doomed another attempted visit to Ronnie’s for ice cream.  I’m going to figure out a way to import the MEF to make that happen.  It was so much fun that I can almost overlook the Sox being nearly no hit in Texas.
Dessert-Worthy Date Last Night
Since the Sox were fast asleep in Texas we took to wandering the air waves and my wife inexplicably wanted to check into day 2 of the NFL draft.  While there were still no Kevin Costner sightings she did fall immediately in love with the latest Patriot’s selection, a quarterback.  She declared that he is a definite babe; oh well I guess we all take different paths to NFL fandom.

My Wife's New Crush
We are in full prep mode for Mother’s Day weekend (expanded from a  single day) with the arrival today of her favorite son.  My daughter will be unable to make it up here due to baby shower responsibilities in NYC.  I think my wife doesn’t mind as long as it serves in some small way as motivation.  I think I’ve talked her out of the planned lawsuit for lack of grandchildren.  My daughter’s card and gift did arrive yesterday so I know her Mom was in her thoughts this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment