Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother’s Day Celebrations – Day 1

The weather yesterday for Saturday of Mother’s Day weekend was completely dreary but lifted immensely and immediately by the arrival of our favorite son.  Buddy seemed to sense his favorite human was close and upon hearing a car door slam he rushed over to the window, confirmed his arrival and dashed for the door to administer a proper Buddy welcome.
The Calmest Part of the Buddy Welcome
My son arrived with a full bouquet of roses (he knows his mother) and you could almost see the lifting of spirits underway now that she one of her children around (even if he is a bit over six feet).  My wife decided she wanted to go bowling since she inexplicably loves that.  I’m not a huge fan of the sport mainly because my talents lie decidedly elsewhere (where I haven’t quite figured out yet).  We had the immense bowling alley almost completely to ourselves so I felt a little less concerned about revealing my level of competence.
Wife with Filial Rose Haul
My son takes after his mother and is a very good bowler so he arrived with his personal bowling ball and shoes.  We rented a lane for two hours and you could see how much my wife was enjoying her time with us and the bowling.   We were conveniently located next to the snack bar which also served beer!
Wife and Son at Bowling Alley
Our first couple games were typically frustrating as whatever little ability I possessed seemed to have deserted me.  I snuck up to the snack bar for a beer and the slip of a girl who served beer actually carded me which did an immense amount for my morale and even gave me a bracelet so I wouldn’t get carded for subsequent beers.  I opined to my astounded wife and son that my Bruins playoff beard obviously had chopped a couple decades off my appearance.
The Bracelet to Prove I was Over 21
I May Have it Bronzed!
The boost in morale (although my son accredited it to some Coors Lite lubrication) changed my fortunes.  More than anything else I reverted to my time honored technique of brute force and ignorance and abandoned any attempt at technique. I was able to inflict my son’s worst nightmare in beating him in one game, scoring 177. 
Wife and Son at Dinner
My wife’s second request was dinner at the upscale restraint in Worcester that did such a great job on our anniversary dinner. The place was packed and we had to wait nearly a half hour even with reservations but it turned out to be worth the wait.  My son even demonstrated a heretofore undemonstrated knowledge of wine that I’m sure was MEF inspired.  The Bruins game started while we were eating and every time the nearby bar exploded in cheers my son would check the I-phone for a score update.
Wife and I
We got home in time to see the Bruins complete a domination of the hated Canadiens.  The Bruins seemed to have found their stride but momentum is only as good as the next game.  The beard may survive another couple weeks if the Bruins can win one more game against Montreal. 

Even though this was a day doing some things I didn’t always enjoy (I didn’t even mention the stop to shop for flowers) the company made all the difference. Today’s a trip up to New Hampshire to spend the day with the recently returned MEF and her parents for Day 2 celebrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment