Monday, May 26, 2014

Scouting Memorialized

Today’s Memorial Day when we remember and honor those who gave their life so the light of freedom would continue to burn in this contentious yet enduring bastion of liberty.  Days like today cause me to wander the pathways of memory back to my formative years (my wife will tell you I’m still in those). 
I remember Memorial Day as a cub scout and then a boy scout marching in the annual parade in my home town.  This was my first real exposure to the military culture and to say it left a mark would be a vast understatement.  The parade always wound into a cemetery where a bugler would play taps while a respectful silence fell over the entire parade.  All of the scout leaders (as well as every adult present) were veterans of World War 2 and I remember being struck by how poignantly impactful those renditions were to these men.  I didn’t understand it at the time but the song brought back memories of friends and loved ones who had answered the nation’s call to preserve our way of life and didn’t return.  For those heroes the day is done, gone the sun, from the lake, from the hill, from the sky, all is well, safely rest, God is nigh. 

We won’t forget your sacrifice or those who continue to sacrifice despite a world that wants minimize the threats we still face. Thank you for the gift of freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment