Friday, May 16, 2014

Skinned, Hero Departs, and Wise Words

As I mentioned yesterday, the minimal changes that caused so much consternation and hand wringing all week passed with an almost vestigial vote by the board.  That set the rest of day up as I could finally start inputting the changes into the scheduling software which I complain about but for some strange reason actually enjoy (a little).
This relatively peaceful sojourn was interrupted when the calendar reminder popped up to send me for my semi-annual skin check with the dermatologist.  Ever since I had to have some basal skin cancer rooted out of my head and neck I have to do this every six months or so.  I made a rookie mistake by pointing out some weird flaky skin on my forehead to the doctor.  I’ve found the dermatologists love this because they get to draw their favorite cryotherapy toy – the frozen nitrogen gun.  Thirty seconds after asking the doctor what the flaky skin was I was the proud owner of a killer “ice cream headache” and three frozen spots on my forehead.
I’m not complaining because a headache is much preferable to that Mohs knife fest.  On the upside the doctor was female so I had a young lady literally running her hands all over my body (sometimes middle age is a good thing, reaction wise).  By the time I got home and reported to the wife, the doctor had aged several decades.
We received some sad news last night from our daughter.  Our son in law’s grandfather passed away down in Florida after a long battle with Alzheimer’s.  I only met him once, at my daughter’s wedding, but it still generated one of my favorite memories from the wedding.  During the rehearsal dinner at our home his wife came up and asked if I would talk him about a painting that was hanging in the family room.
The Painting
The painting was a gift from the officers of the 101st Airborne Division battalion that I commanded.  It commemorated the epic stand of the 101st at Bastogne during World War 2.  I immediately launched into the history behind the painting when he gently interrupted and said, “I know.  I was there.”  I let him talk from that point on and learned he was an armored infantry platoon leader in Patton’s famed Third Army and was part of the force that eventually fought through to relieve the surrounded 101st at Bastogne.  As with many Alzheimer’s victims he could be foggy about present day happenings but he clearly remembered his days fighting across Europe.  These heroes of the greatest generation are departing the realm in staggering numbers now but I feel a little diminished that one I admired so much has shuffled off the moral coil.  He leaves the world the better place for having contributed so much, not the least of which is a truly outstanding grandson.  My thoughts are with my son in law today.
Rest in Peace Lieutenant and Thank You
Staying in the daughter department, she recently posted something that I thought  was incredibly insightful.  I don’t know the original author but pretty neat stuff.  The cool thing about having such smart kids (they take after their mother) is occasions like this, when they make you think:
“I’ve said this before and I’ll point it out again -
Menstruation is caused by change in hormonal levels to stop the creation of a uterine lining and encourage the body to flush the lining out. The body does this by lowering estrogen levels and raising testosterone. Or, to put it more plainly “That time of the month” is when female hormones most closely resemble male hormones. So if (cis) women aren’t suited to office at “That time of the month” then (cis) men are NEVER suited to office.
If you are a dude and don’t dig the ladies around you at their time of the month, just think! That is you all of the time. And, on a final note, post-menopausal (cis) women are the most hormonally stable of all human demographics. They have fewer hormonal fluctuations of anyone, meaning older women like Hilary Clinton and Elizabeth Warren would theoretically be among the least likely candidates to make an irrational decision due to hormonal fluctuations, and if we were basing our leadership decisions on hormone levels, then only women over fifty should ever be allowed to hold office.”

Author’s note - I’m still never voting for Hillary, mainly for her poor marital choices.
Lest We Forget

No comments:

Post a Comment