Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Closet New York Fandom

Well the detritus and carnage from my wife’s flower-palooza over the weekend finally seems to have abated.  Absolutely nothing even vaguely newsworthy happened yesterday (altogether not a bad thing) except a huge turkey patronized Buddy's bent bird feeder.  My Father’s Day weekend plans were solidified with a short but satisfying call with elder (although you would never know it by looking at her) sister. 
The Turkey - Note the New Bend in the pole Thanks to the Wonder pooch
I even had an all too rare opportunity to speak with my younger sister about some impending shoulder surgery.  She tore her rotator cuff and other various and sundry muscles over the winter while executing that well known New England performance art known as falling on ice.  I’m glad she’s got someone in her life now that will be there to take care of her through the process.  All too often she’s had to be the person who’s there for everybody else around her.
My Apparently Very Cool Sisters
I’m left to ponder why my sisters get all the cool injuries.  My elder (chronologically only, bear in mind) sister once tore her hammy and has had both of her knees “scoped”.  Now my other sister is having rotator cuff surgery.  I’m thinking they may have some sort of secret sports careers going on behind the scenes.  Meanwhile I only have dermatologists carving pieces of skin off my neck and face, definitely less sexy.
I have a confession to make that will stun most people who know me – I’m rooting for a New York sports team (temporarily, I hasten to add).  It did come easily and I still pause to check my temperature and pulse at times but I’m actually cheering for the New York Rangers.  It took a team as loathsome as the Montreal Canadiens to bring this fanapocalypse about and last night I watched the Rangers shut down the whiny crybabies from Montreal for the second straight game.
Surreal - Don't Tell Anybody I'm Doing This
It should serve as a blue print for the Bruins about dealing with these bozos.  There is no after the whistle shenanigans that the Canadiens invariably bait the Bruins into but more than anything else it’s evident the answer is team speed.  The Bruins play a methodical style that is ill suited given the increasing openness of the NHL game.  The Rangers were flying for most of the night and the Canadiens did not have an answer – although they did talk a lot.

I spent the entire day yesterday glued to the computer screen which I moved closer to me on the desk since it was such fine detail and these eyes have seen better days.  It’s scary to think about far I’ve come computer-wise since I retired from the military (my children are now laughing uproariously at that claim).  My wife did her meals on wheels thing yesterday and used that opportunity to buy (wait for it) more flowers.  There was one pot that was conspicuously forgotten and required immediate attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment