Friday, May 30, 2014

Ascension Endures

An afternoon at work doing battle with scheduling software along with the IT savant made for a really long day.  Around 11:30 it seemed the entire Worcester police department was speeding by in excited fashion.  I saw in the paper today they nabbed a serial bank robber just a few doors down from our office.  Ahh - the sights and sounds of Worcester!  
Our Former Neighborhood Bank Robber Gets Acquainted with Worcester's Finest
However, it was weekend eve, even better, my daughter was sneaking out of NYC to join us for an extended weekend – talk about your wins.  My redoubtable son in law, after spending the day with Buddy, volunteered to make the obligatory and danger fraught drive through wilds of Connecticut to retrieve his wife.
Buddy Snuck up on the Couch With Son in Law and Tried Unsuccessfully
to Convince Him My Wife Would Have No Issue with This
Replenished with paint I finished off the last of the porch to finally drive a stake in the heart of that project with only the attendant doubling of the blister size.  It is conveniently on my middle digit so I look forward to a weekend of demonstrating my injury to people who ask about how I managed to injure myself slinging a paint brush.
Prepped and Ready to Execute
The NYC couple showed up just after I finished up and reported finding a new “short cut” through the dreaded Hartford traffic wilderness.  I was fascinated by this development in my seemingly endless battle with the Nutmeg State’s highway system but was prevented from exploring the details as my wife was more interested in the mundane task of greeting our daughter (priorities!). 
Selfie Week Continues Late Last Night with Daughter and Son in Law
My daughter was anxious to see the Hannibal season finale which her husband’s English jaunt had kept from him.  She and I had already seen the mind bending last fifteen minutes and that made it all the more fun watching his reactions.  Hannibal truly is playing chess while everybody else is at the checkers level.  It would be scary if there ever was a serial killer with his level of intellect.
Dude!
I was sneaking away from the carnage to check in on the Red Sox who staged yet another comeback.  I wasn’t a big fan of the Drew signing but if nothing else it seems to have woken up young Mr. Bogearts who had the game winning walk off hit.  It was a little inappropriate to be jumping up and down in the kitchen while Hannibal was administering to his victims in the darkened next room.
We even spent about five minutes watching the end of the national spelling bee which is broadcast of ESPN for some mystical reason.  It turned out to be an incredibly impressive demonstration of intelligence.  Indian immigrants seem to have cornered the market on this American institution and the last two young dudes just were not to be denied.  I couldn’t even pronounce the last couple words which they both spelled flawlessly to be crowned co-champions.  It did nothing to lessen the historic pain of my failure to emerge from my own fifth grade spelling bee under the baleful eyes of Miss Thomas where even the Cantankerous Friend beat me. 

The good news continued as the posers from Montreal went down to defeat and I can abandon my surrealistic support of a New York team.  It is now the First Friday of the Week and my entire crew (wife, daughter, and son in law) have committed to joining me for the ritual celebration this afternoon at Brew City.  Morale continues its ascent unabated by a forearm full of poison ivy – there is a pub crawl on the approaching horizon as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment