Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Brother Days of Past

My Brother
Today’s the birthday of one of the most important people in my life, my peerless Brother in Law.  I first met him at Logan Airport international terminal thinking I was going to be dodging Nashua based assassins as I returned from Germany.  We bonded almost immediately as he assumed my hitherto role of good natured tormentor of my older (certainly not elder) sister.  He’s been everything a guy could want in a brother – a friend, a counselor, and a compatriot in the vagaries of Boston sports fandom for the past three decades.  I’ve been blessed with a lot of great people in my life and I count him as right at the top.  One of my favorite activities in the world is sitting around a table with him and just talking.  It’s therefore kind of appropriate that today I’ll be journeying once again to the international terminal at Logan to pick up my son in law who’s flying in from England.  It’s nice to be reminded why that is such a special place.
As I nurse the blistered hands (I’m still trying to figure out how I got blisters just painting) and yet another case of poison ivy I was lucky enough for date night last night with my favorite Panamanian.  We went to see X-Men, Days of Future Past which both of my “kids” raved about.  It’s a great action flick, up to Marvel’s usual standard in the way of special effects, but you can also tell that a supremely talented director was back at the helm as well.
That was apparent because the story is so ridiculously convoluted in jumping back and forth between the present, past, and future that to see it flow smoothly understandable across the screen is a real achievement.  The “kids” were crowing that this movie finally returned sanity to the X-Men universe in terms of loyalty to the source material.  I was blissfully unaware that this was a serious problem but I’m assured that this is how the X-Men mythology is supposed to unfold.  I am sure to sleep more soundly tonight now that this cosmic crime has been deus ex machina-ed back in line.

While I loved the science fiction aspects, my wife “marveled” at the fully exposed gluteal muscles of the Wolverine displayed in all their glory.  She muttered something about crossing an item off a bucket list.  Hugh Jackman’s butt has been a serious topic of discussion ever since she saw him on Broadway a few years ago.  

No comments:

Post a Comment