Friday, May 9, 2014

Deflated Early the Beard Triumphs Costner-less

Hah!
Since I was reunited with my I-phone you can now bask in the glory that is the weekly photo of my son and I at our hump day luncheon (and you thought you’d escaped that fate this week!).  Yesterday I was reunited with my phone over a very fun lunch date due to a flat tire (are you intrigued yet?). 
The Mountain on Monday
Wednesday night as I continued chipping away at the mulch mountain in the driveway I had to back my wife’s car out of the garage.  When I did I finally identified the tire that had been setting off a sensor light for the past week.  I like having the sensors in the tire that let you know when a tire is going flat (except when it’s the ingeniously concealed spare tire).  When the light first lit up a week ago I scientifically employed my tire gauge which involves the vigorous use of kicking the tires (literally).  This method failed to detect any low tire pressure so I surmised the damned spare tire was low again and could wait.  We then took several long trips with the car including the wife’s weekly all day drive to deliver meals on wheels.  In turns out my shoe leather tire gauge may need some calibration as when I backed the car out I noted the rear tire was dangerously low due to a stainless steel screw that had mated with it.
While this was not welcome news it did set up a chain of events culminating in not only the above mentioned reunion with my cell phone but also a lunch with my favorite Panamanian; more on that in a second.  I think the best tool anyone can possess is a portable tire inflator.  I stole this one from my son and am constantly using it for my riding lawn mower and its attachments, as well as the odd basketball or football.  Yesterday I used it to return the tire to drivable status and took her car into work since there’s a tire repair place few doors down from my office.
Everyone Should Own One of These
My wife was driving into Worcester with for a hair appointment so I was reticent about separating her from the navigation device.  She assured me that she could find the hair dresser with her eyes closed (not that we want to make the attempt in that fashion) so the vast sums of money spent there have not been totally wasted.  I was able to get the tire repaired quickly and when she called to report I had left my cell phone at home I asked her out to lunch following the cranial maintenance session.
The Rhino
We linked up for lunch but she declared the restaurant at the hairdresser place was not keto friendly so we set off down Shrewsbury Street in search of sustenance.  We ended up at the Flying Rhino Café and Watering Hole (great name there).  I’ve eaten there a few times and it never fails to over achieve.  If you’re ever in Worcester and looking for a great place for lunch – hit the Flying Rhino.  My lunch date was everything I needed in the way of sprit-lifting after a morning of soul sucking meetings.
My Devastatingly Beautiful Lunch Date
I returned home to administer a coup de grâce to the mulch mountain before the Bruins game started.  Buddy was forced to watch from inside due his recent spate of territorial integrity issues.  Another sign of spring, black flies, more than made up for his absence in the way of distractions.  I finished off the hill but discovered I’m going to need more.  My wife’s ruthless garden expansion program has upped the ante on mulch coverage so I was a couple yards short.
The Mountain Last Night

Then It Was Gone!
But Still Not Enough
The Bruins game was everything I hoped for.  They finally adjusted to Montreal’s style of play and imposed their will on the faster but less physically inclined Canadiens.  The result was a taut game with a lot of big hits but no scoring.  The Bruins seemed to have an internal bet on how many times they could hit the cross bar without actually putting the puck into the net.  I asked the wife for a vigorous stroke of the beard at the end of regulation time.  It culminated in a storybook ending with a young kid, Matt Fraser, just called up the day before from the minor leagues potting the game winning overtime goal.  This is what is so great about playoff hockey, even without any scoring, the game kept us on the edge of our seat throughout.  I say “we” because my wife watched the entire game with me.  You’ll no doubt be surprised to hear that hockey is not a huge sport in Panama but she was caught up in the emotion every bit as much as I was (well almost). 
We were also checking in on the NFL draft which was taking place at the same time.  My wife vowed to watch it this year after seeing the movie Draft Day.  I warned her there would be no Kevin Costner but she insisted (and who was I to argue).  It turned out she had been paying attention to the plot despite Costner’s screen presence and picked up on a lot of what was going on.  It helped that just like the movie we had a highly touted quarterback freefalling down the draft board and the Cleveland Browns bouncing up and down the board with a maniacal pace of trades. 

Who knew that a day that started out with a flat tire could turn out so well? 

No comments:

Post a Comment