Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Plumbing for Neighborly Treasures

Tuesday gave Monday a real run for its money in terms of karmic payback for a great weekend.  I spent most of the day dealing with reticent politicos who were giving a certain Bert Lahr movie character a run for his money in terms of courageousness.  After spending the day performing backbone replacement surgery it was great to come home to my favorite Panamanian, especially since it was date night. 
I was Channeling Some Serious Dorothy Yesterday
She had a surprise for me by completely painting the front door to the house.  She’s always hated the bland color and wanted a red front door.  She’s been threatening me with this for years.  She really does have an eye for style because it looks fantastic.  She did learn the difference in working with oil based paints and the need for proper ventilation.  Buddy was an immense help during the project, keeping the dastardly front yard squirrels at bay so my wife could paint in peace.
New Front Door With Buddy at His Post
Date night called for a movie (huge surprise there) and we saw the Seth Rogen comedy, Neighbors.  The plot (such as it was) had a college fraternity move in next to couple with a new baby.  The immediate questions to be pondered are how the hell would Rogen ever score Rose Byrne as a wife and Phoebe as a college dean!  Zac Efron plays the frat guy and he’s turning into a pretty good actor and takes his shirt off enough to please the ladies as he is apparently Matthew MaConaghey’s designated successor in that area. 
I thought my wife would run for door when the spicy language and penis jokes kicked in but she actually enjoyed it (I’m thinking prolonged exposure to paint fumes).  The movie is a collection of vile puerile jokes but against all odds seems to work.  I did feel uncomfortable laughing at a couple of gags (and not just because of my own time spent in a fraternity). If your movie has to contain some “message” or deal with at least some redeeming social value then you should avoid this.  I am not so encumbered so I loved it; after dealing with politicians sometimes you need a good dose of vile puerility. 
We returned home and my wife accidentally dropped a beloved necklace down the drain and implored me to rescue it.  If there was ever a special needs class for plumbing ability my space would be permanently reserved as I possess a scary lack of ability in the area.  She then mentioned the necklace was worth a couple hundred buck so my motivation level skyrocketed (imagining replacement costs).  I was able to remove the drain elbow and dump out the water and not one but two necklaces fell out.

The Rescued Gold
The other necklace was a $600 gold rosary chain that she lost months ago.  She’d thought she lost it at the movie theater and never imagined it was sitting in the bathroom sink drain the whole time.  She quickly deflected my questions as to when “we” bought a $600 rosary chain and was so excited at the find I didn’t have the heart to pursue that line of questioning.  She was so thrilled that she forgot to not open the drain while I was under the sink trying the put the elbow back into place.  I guess she thought it would serve as a distraction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment