Thursday, May 1, 2014

Rained In Hump Day Connections

I hope all friends and family who went through the storms in the South and Midwest over the past week are safe, sound, and dry.  My thoughts were with you as I saw the reports of damage coming in (which I’m sure offered an immense amount of sustenance during your stressful time).  The same storm has been pummeling New England for the past twenty-four hours but all we’re getting is rain, lots of it.  I think it’s safe to assume the drought is over in Florida although two feet of rain within one day is probably not the tactic of choice for ending it. 
Lunch Yesterday with This Guy!!
I dodged a few rain drops yesterday for the weekly morale boost afforded by lunch with my favorite son.  We’d missed a couple weeks as schedules conspired to prevent this needed spirit lifting.  The MEF is heading west for a few days so he’s freed up for a Friday night visit home as well.  I’m guessing some Zorba’s pizza will be involved at some point.  In honor of the MEF we may even hit Ronnie’s (that’ll teach you to go to California!).
My wife and I also finally spoke with our daughter last night as she overcame her balky telephone issues long enough to catch us up on her New York City happenings.  Her husband is gone to a Minnesota recording session so she and her excellent friend attended the Chaplin Awards honoring old Meathead himself, Rob Reiner, at the Lincoln Center.  They had excellent box seats to the event where a number of Hollywood legends introduced clips of Reiner’s legendary career as a director (Princess Bride anyone?).   

My Daughter and Her Friend at Lincoln Center
Their Talents Lie Well Beyond Christmas tree Decorating
My daughter, having bred true, is every bit the movie geek that I am (and probably more) so this was a magical night for her.  She sent me some photos which I’ve included below.  She said the only really awkward moment of the night was when Tom Cruise’s taped message was played. She said there were a number of other such messages played for the audience which were really well received.  Cruise’s fell flat as she opined he really does live in a completely different dimension than the rest of us.  Luckily he can still make awesome action flicks. 
Harry and Sally Themselves, Meg Ryan and Bill Crystal
Introducing the "I'll Have What She's Having" Scene

Rob Reiner After Being Introduced by Martin Scorsese 
James Caan (blue suit) and Scorsese

1 comment:

  1. Meg and Billy actually introduced the ending New Year's Eve scene ("when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."), though that other scene was played as a clip during a montage!

    And you caption Rob Reiner as Rob Ryan! He's not a football coach, Dad! Good talk, Dad.

    ReplyDelete