Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Underwhelming Work

I felt like this guy at work yesterday, fending off demons that seemed hell bent on keeping me from completing my task.  There are certain days at work where I will go the entire day with only a couple of interruptions; days where I actually crave some company.  Yesterday was not one of them.

I had to complete the final checks on a critical export of some software updates that had to go out yesterday.  I told my boss in the early morning staff meeting that I wouldn’t be very communicative for the rest of the day because of this.

As soon as I got back to my office to start work on the export the parade commenced (and I usually love parades).  There was a constant stream of people sticking their heads into the office for everything from job interviews to a pathological need to catch up.  My boss even showed up with a mutual acquaintance who stopped by to say hi.  I can get pretty driven when I need to be and I was struggling to remain polite.

I thought about locking the door but that would mean getting up to answer the door for every interruption instead of just dispensing withering stares when the door opened. 

I got the job done but I was literally drained by the end of the day.  I made my way home through a driving rain (rain!!!?) and collapsed on the sofa.  While decompressing I finished off the blu ray series of Rome and said goodbye to two of my favorite characters, Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo.  Republican Rome is my favorite period of history and this series does a fantastic job of presenting the death of the Republic in the hands of Julius and Octavian Caesar with remarkable clarity and historical accuracy, down to the life of common Romans (along with a few orgies). 
 
I eventually arose to finish off the latest puzzle – only two days on this one.  It completed a series of puzzles containing two Labrador retrievers, one yellow and the other black.  Each was featured in a New England scene based on a season.  Friends in Autumn, Friends in Winter, etc, etc.  The last was Friends in Summer – involved some real longing on my part.
Puzzle Done - Nice Decompression
I'm Going to Miss the Labs
 

No comments:

Post a Comment