Thursday, February 7, 2013

Blizzarding Memories

The Current Forecast - I'm Right Under the 9 in 39.3
The Boston television media are currently in high hysteria breathlessly reporting the end of the world as we know it.  Or it could be we’re about to receive a major snow storm and we’ll be called upon to deal with it.  The snow will start tomorrow and wouldn’t you know it, the latest model I’m seeing shows a mere 39.3 inches of snow in my backyard.  Man I hope that new auger belt works on the snow blower!

As reported yesterday we got a light dusting of snow yesterday and I conducted the last ride of the old auger belt which worked for most of the job although the snow was only getting thrown about a foot and a half.  It eventually met its demise and I used the snow blower as a plow to push the remaining snow off the driveway.  Tomorrow will definitely be a bird of a deeper color – should be interesting.

We’re also undergoing the annual remembrance of the blizzard to 1978 which was catastrophic for Massachusetts. I remember being a young guy who had just signed up for the Army and was waiting to ship out in a couple weeks when the storm hit.  We were buried under snow but I remember being proud of how New Hampshire handled it as we watched Massachusetts descend into chaos.  People actually died sitting in their cars trapped on Interstate 95.  I can remember watching the US Army deploying to Boston to help with the cleanup and my fascination with my soon to be employers. 

I would hate to be a weather forecaster for New England with the different variables they have to deal with.  I think an entire generation of weathermen was affected by the missed forecast of 1978 because they always cheat on the worst case scenario side of a snow storm forecast.  I hope they’re wrong here but I think I’m going to need that auger belt.  Buddy will love it.

My movie streak continued last night (5 nights in a row now) with Bullet to the Head, Sly Stallone’s latest film.  That boy has had some serious plastic surgery done.  He can barely move his facial muscles anymore.  I think if he ever smiled (he doesn’t in this movie) his toes would curl.  This film also marked the return of Walter Hill who directed some of the best action flicks of the 1980’s so his teaming with Stallone was appropriate.

I always liked Hill’s gritty style and over the top action which is once again present here.  Stallone plays a betrayed hit man who teams up with an Asian cop from Washington DC to hunt down his betrayers in New Orleans.  Somehow it all made sense and the action was almost non-stop and enjoyable.  Good popcorn flick.  
Blizzard of 78 - Cars Trapped on I-95
Blizzard of 78 - Streets of Boston
Good Action Flick
 

No comments:

Post a Comment