Saturday, February 23, 2013

Torpedo Damning Thwarted

Admiral Farragut Got His Chance
I was all set to channel a little David Farragut and declare that I was going to throw caution to the wind and head up to New Hampshire through the teeth of this upcoming monster winter storm.  I was going to wax epic as to my courage and fortitude.  Honest, I was.  In reality the weather reports changed so we’re only supposed to get around six inches of snow.  With that change I was planning on taking part in the planned pub crawl through several hometown drinking establishments. Then I called my theoretical host to find he had been poleaxed by a bad back.  He seemed to feel worse about calling off the pub crawl than taking care of his pain.  He’s that kind of guy.

So the torpedoes will have to wait.  It’s Buddy and I for the rest of the weekend here in Casa Solo.
Speaking of Buddy the Cookie Thief, he survived his chocolate ingestion of the purloined sweets yesterday.  I ultimately had the last laugh as the overall boss at work convened a "Kumbaya" meeting complete with sandwiches and a huge bucket of chocolate chip cookies.  Karma seems to be hard at work in my life.

My direct boss (best boss in the world) and I convened a First Friday celebration at Brew City in Worcester.  We were blessed with our favorite red headed waitress which made the afternoon complete.
I followed with a solo date at Zorba’s for my Friday night pizza fix.  No less than five waitresses and irrepressible waiter Dave came by to say hi and ask what happened to all the Pana-Gals and why was I eating a hamburger instead of pepperoni pizza.  I was very touched that I’ve become such a fixture at the place.  I guess I am getting old – safe to speak to.

I settled in for an evening wandering through my DVR assemblage of the week and enjoyed several phone calls from friends and family.  I had a great conversation with my big sister which reminded me of so many other Friday phone conversations from the past with her.  Whenever my wife was driving me home from a Friday happy hour during my military career – a drunk call to my sister was de rigueur.  Traditions are very important. 
Cookie Revenge - Wife & Buddy Overcome
Zorba's Last Night

No comments:

Post a Comment