Sunday, February 3, 2013

Pre-Game Saturday

Mis Compadres! Last Night
Yesterday was a lot of fun.  The source of that fun - spending the day with my daughter and son in law – supremely excellent hang out compadres.  I did have to go in to work for a couple of hours as we are trying to convince the weekend crew that they really do have to do their jobs but that went well as the message seems to have been delivered.

I came back in time to take my favorite New Yorkers out for brunch at the Cracker Barrel followed by a movie, Warm Bodies, that I would not have seen if not for the energetic recommendation of my daughter (she hates it when I do that).
As usual her recommendation was spot on as I really enjoyed this quirky love story.  The kicker is that the love story is set in a zombie apocalypse and the guy in love is one of the walking dead; talk about your forbidden love.  Now this is truly taking the Romeo and Juliet story in a different direction, there’s even a balcony scene!  Against all odds, this movie works and is truly funny, especially the first half as we see the couple get together after the guy, named “R” (all he can remember of his name), kills and eats the brain of his future girlfriend’s boyfriend.  I know it sounds a little weird, it is, but somehow it also comes across as sweet. As usual Rob Cordray, as R’s zombie buddy, makes the most of a small part, delivering the most memorable line in the movie.

We returned to the house after a foray into grocery shopping, buying items for the Super Bowl get together.  I was free to buy whatever I wanted since my wife’s calorie conscious filter was not present.  I probably did go a little bit over board in terms of the three different kinds of cookies and two cakes but I have two months to work off the additional weight this will result in.  I never realized how difficult it was to walk by (I didn’t) a chocolate jelly roll without my wife there to warn me off.  So I’m kind of blaming her that they’re part of today’s menu.
I knocked off the severe rust of preparing a big dinner (other than turkey) by grilling a bunch of steaks in the oven.  The cold weather bumped up against my wimp factor obviating my initial plan to grill the steaks outside.  The kids were polite enough to report that the steaks tasted good.

My wife reported in from David, Panama where the dry season winds are pretty severe and knocked down a big orange tree on top of her parent’s recently repaired roof.  The roof repair came just in time because without it the tree would have collapsed the entire house.
Today’s going to be a good day because we will have a true quorum of my favorite people when my son, sister, and brother in law join us for the Super Bowl.  Color me – psyched!!!
Unexpected Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment