Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Happy Birthday Mi Querida!


The Birthday Girls - My Wife (on Right) and Her Twin Sister
If you’ve read this blog at all – you know I love to embarrass family members by dragging up photos from their past on their birthday.  She’s down in Panama for an extended visit with her family and able to celebrate with her twin sister.  This is fortunate on one level because it will delay the retaliation for some of these photos. 

I spoke with her last night for the first time in several days as she’s been bouncing around the country showing off Panama to our son and his M.E.G.  I find it astounding how much a short conversation with her can do towards lifting my spirits.  She has that level of mojo. 

Since it is her birthday I’d like to repeat the story of how we met and what she means to me that I wrote for her birthday last year.

I still remember the first time I realized I was in love with this lady.  It was on our second date, the day after I met her.  She was turning around to say something to me and she was bubbling, full of life and her eyes were just flashing.  My heart melted and even though it’s been over thirty years she can still do that to me with her eyes.  The next day, on our third date, I asked her to marry me. 

We’ve had an incredible journey together.  Neither of us really spoke the other’s language that well when we met, but we figured it out.  When I think back on her courage of marrying a foreigner and then moving away from her family and culture, following me all over the world while raising two kids, I’m a little bit in awe. 

She is so full of life and one of those people you just gravitate towards.  I often introduce myself as her husband because she is so gregarious and outgoing that she’s usually made friends with you even though you just met.  I admire her courage – she defended our kids with an almost blind fury if she thought they had been wronged.  She also has an incredible compassion for the downtrodden.  Each month I find we have contributed to some new charity and she goes out of her way to assist whenever the opportunity presents itself.    

She’s an incredible woman and I’m lucky she’s let me hang around her for the last thirty years.  Happy Birthday Querida, Te Amo!
Before We Met in Costa Rica as a Young Lady
Way Before We Met
Rallying the Neighbor Children
Pretty Sure She's Going to Kick my Butt over this One - She Loves Plants
Contemplative High School Student
Graduating from University
Lioness with her Cubs and Tall 1980s Hair
In the Middle of Her Two Best Friends
Those Eyes Can Still Do it!
At My Daughter's Wedding Next to our Son
Thanksgiving in the 90s
She's An Accomplished Panamanian Folklore Dancer
Our 25th Wedding Anniversary
Knock Out
With Her Daughter
Elegance Personified
She'll Tell You She's the General in the House - Just Ask
Shortly After We Married
See What I Mean About the Eyes
Mother's Day Breakfast in Bed With Much Younger Version of Our Son
Suprised
Our Wedding Day and Her Truly Unfortunate Hairdo
She Still Complains About it

She Sent Me This Photo When I'd Been Away in the Desert for 6 Months
Unfair!!!!
Get Away Trip to Kuaii When I got Back!!!
Passing on Traditions to our Daughter
Shortly After our Marriage in Panama with her Nephew
This Guy is Now Our Lawyer Down There
First Visit to the USA - Meeting the Cantankerous One
Finally The Birthday Girls Again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment